Mixer routing

Passinmeby

Hi fellas,

First post here! Long time music maker, decided to indulge myself in the world of hardware, so I bought the following equipment;

Audio Interface: Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
http://futuremusic.com/news/images/focusrite_saffire_6usb.jpg

Mixer: Soundcraft Spirit Folio

404 Not Found
Compressor: Alesis 3630
http://www.strumentimusicali.net/imagesbig/B_ALESIS_3630.jpg

Now I've managed to hook up my computer to the mixer and audio interface and getting sound. I also get sound from my softsynth, linked to the mixer.

The problem arises however when I want to hook up the mixer; how would you guys suggest I do this? Here's the setup as I have now:

https://i.gyazo.com/9623c877013bde74eef8401ae78eac95.jpg

Would love to hear your suggestions as I'm fairly clueless. Thanks.:guitar:

Welcome to the site.

Maybe if you could tell us what you are trying to do, you can get a more specific answer.

If you're doing the one-man band thing, my first suggestion would be to return the mixer from where you bought it. it's not really necessary if you have an audio interface. But, if you're bent on having the mixer, then the inputs from the focusrite would go to the tape outputs of the mixer.... and vice versa.

Also, why do you have the mixer connected to the computer if you're using the audio interface? It's redundant.

If you are going to have a lot of inputs from different sound sources, multiple keyboards, guitars, singers, etc. then having the mixer might make sense if you don't want to plug/unplug cables. I would suggest using the mixer solely for inputs and not try to route your monitor or playback channels through it. Plug your monitors and headphones into the focusrite. Plug the Tape Outs from the mixer into your focusrite. Don't plug anything into the sound card on your computer.

In this configuration, you're still recording only 2 channels at one time, so if you're recording a whole band at one time, you'll have a 2 track recording of them. Can't really process individual tracks that way.

Welcome to the site.

Maybe if you could tell us what you are trying to do, you can get a more specific answer.

If you're doing the one-man band thing, my first suggestion would be to return the mixer from where you bought it. it's not really necessary if you have an audio interface. But, if you're bent on having the mixer, then the inputs from the focusrite would go to the tape outputs of the mixer.... and vice versa.

Also, why do you have the mixer connected to the computer if you're using the audio interface? It's redundant.

If you are going to have a lot of inputs from different sound sources, multiple keyboards, guitars, singers, etc. then having the mixer might make sense if you don't want to plug/unplug cables. I would suggest using the mixer solely for inputs and not try to route your monitor or playback channels through it. Plug your monitors and headphones into the focusrite. Plug the Tape Outs from the mixer into your focusrite. Don't plug anything into the sound card on your computer.

In this configuration, you're still recording only 2 channels at one time, so if you're recording a whole band at one time, you'll have a 2 track recording of them. Can't really process individual tracks that way.

Hi Chili,

Thanks for your welcome and your swift reply. My goal is to use the Alesis compressor in Ableton. I disagree in saying that the mixer is redundant as my audio interface only has 2 inputs, which practically can only receive my Korg M1 -- there's no more inputs for my compressor, and a multi fx unit which i left out of the equation for now. Do you think your configuration can enable the use of my Alesis compressor in Ableton?

Would love to hear from you :D

To use an external processor on something that's already recorded you really need an interface with more than two outputs. Otherwise you have to disconnect an output from one of your monitors to connect your processor, and then you can't properly monitor what you're doing. You can use your compressor on live sources using the mixer. By the way, that compressor doesn't have a stellar reputation though I've had a couple and they seem okay-ish. It's got pretty much every parameter you could want. The operating level switch on the back is a nice feature.

Hi Chili,

Thanks for your welcome and your swift reply. My goal is to use the Alesis compressor in Ableton. I disagree in saying that the mixer is redundant as my audio interface only has 2 inputs, which practically can only receive my Korg M1 -- there's no more inputs for my compressor, and a multi fx unit which i left out of the equation for now. Do you think your configuration can enable the use of my Alesis compressor in Ableton?

Would love to hear from you :D

But your recording limitaitons are from the Focurite interface - 2 separate tracks are the most you can record at any one time. If you use the mixer, then whatever you are using at the same time through it will be recorded on the same track in Ableton. You can pan some inputs left and osme right, and then send those two mixer outputs to the interface.
If you are just using the mixer so that you don't have to change out cables whenever you change what you are recording (but only recording at most 2 separate tracks at a time), then it makes sense.

The Saffire does have 2 sets of outputs, so you can hook up your monitors to one set, and the other ouputs to the compressor

The Saffire does have 2 sets of outputs, so you can hook up your monitors to one set, and the other ouputs to the compressor

Which is still an Alesis 3630. It might be amusing for five minutes to play around with a hardware compressor connected to the recording software, but it's never going to sound better, or even as good, as a plugin and it's a lot less convenient. There's nothing it can do sonically that can't be done a thousand times better in software. Maybe keep it for live sources, but using it as an insert on recorded stuff is not worth the trouble.

Hi Chili,

Thanks for your welcome and your swift reply. My goal is to use the Alesis compressor in Ableton.

You're welcome and I'm sorry I left some good advice out that BouldSoundGuy picked up on. When you return the mixer back to the store, take the 3630 with you. It's probably decent compressor for live sound, but there are so many plugs-ins that sound better for recording. As for configuration to use the 3630, not with what you have. Sorry. the interface only has two channels. It's not worth the time or money to try to get a 3630 into workflow.

Capture your tracks raw and then process completely in the box.

@ mjbphotos That does make sense, I intend to use one "unit" at a time though, for example only playing my synthesizer, or only using my compressor -- would it be possible to hook up the mixer to the Interface in that fashion, or should I really look for a new interface with more outputs?

Im a die hard console guy as I'm still using tape. However I'll be going hybrid soon. But using a mixer with an interface with only two inputs makes no sense at all.
All you'd end up with is a "pre-mixed" stereo signal in the DAW which would defeat the purpose of the daw to begin with.
I'm not saying ditch the mixer, but I would get an interface with more ins and outs.

If all you have is a keyboard, a compressor and the multi-effects unit to connect you can probably just hook them up in that order (or swap the last two) and then into the interface. I'm very much in favor of mixers, but there has to be a reason for having one. You don't seem to have a good reason.

Back