Mixer Question...

XploZiveToyz

All American Un-American
I bought a Mackie Profx16 a few years ago for my practice room and am wondering if anyone here has ever connected one to a computer so as to use the interface contained within it? I'm just wondering about the quality of the interface. I have no need to ever do it since I already own three other interfaces, but am curious. Has anyone here done it?:cool: And don't tell me to do it as I suffer from terminal laziness! LOL!

I've got a ProFX12, and I have used it. Like all 16-bit mixer-based USB converters, its noisy. The advantage of the Mackie over some others is the volume pot for the USB signal (it works both ways - input and output). Keep it below 10-11 o'clock and the noise level is low enough for use. Turn it up and you can hear the high-pitch whine when you turn on track monitoring.

Of course I bought it before reading much here - I just wanted something so I could keep all my gear plugged in all the time without having to switch cables out when I was still using a stand-alone recorder, and before Bobbsy's excellent 'Mixer and Home Recording' sticky. But its getting its use now for live work.

I've got a ProFX12, and I have used it. Like all 16-bit mixer-based USB converters, its noisy. The advantage of the Mackie over some others is the volume pot for the USB signal (it works both ways - input and output). Keep it below 10-11 o'clock and the noise level is low enough for use. Turn it up and you can hear the high-pitch whine when you turn on track monitoring.

Of course I bought it before reading much here - I just wanted something so I could keep all my gear plugged in all the time without having to switch cables out when I was still using a stand-alone recorder, and before Bobbsy's excellent 'Mixer and Home Recording' sticky. But its getting its use now for live work.
Thanks for your response mjb. You satisfied my curiosity, plus kept my terminal laziness status intact! LOL!:thumbs up:

Back