Mix Revisited: My I Am

timvracer

This is a song I posted many months ago. I have been working on this project (8 song album) for nearly a year, but very intermittently as sometimes feedback will be 2 or 3 months apart from the artist. In anycase, I am an amatuer, who has mixed one album before (home project), and am learning a ton in this process. I am doing it for free.

So please give this mix a review, and let me know what you would do differently, what should change, what works, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/tim-villanue...illanueva-928310937/sets/pathway-8-16/s-WnlgD

It's a pretty decent mix overall. Everything's pretty balanced against each other.

The mid range feels a little cluttered though. Did you HPF and LPF most of the instruments.

As a heads up, a lot of people in this forum (myself included) do not like CCM. The title's an obvious clue, so you may not get as much feedback as you expect. (At least you're using the phrase "I Am" correctly 90% of the time in this song)

the whole mix sounds a bit lo-fi to me, it's lacking high end sheen, the snare is quite boxy, try and make it snap a bit more. Nice voice though, I love the vocals. I would work primarily on the low and high end, it lacks extreme lows and extreme highs, mastering would not really fix this as it's in the mix. It's quite well balanced overall which is quite rare to hear on here, it's more of an EQ thing, the midrange is quite cluttered for sure.

This is great feedback. This song is very challenging to me because of all the instruments competing "in the middle" (piano, violin, 2 guitars (sometimes 3). I do use HPF/LPF on all the instruments (or most) to help them find their space, but there is lots of overlap. For my info, what frequencies do you consider "in the middle". Vocals seem to be nicely occupying 2k-4k, and I seem to have my issues in the 800-2k range, or so it seems. I am rolling off the electric guitars at 6k, and everything but bass and kick anywhere from 36k to 200k (i.e. I am ripping the LF out of the piano).

And now for the DUMB question... what is "CCM"? .. ah, wait, is that "Contemporary Christian Music"? Ok, well, it's all music to me, just want to make it sound awesome. But hey, if folks don't want to help because of the subject matter, that's cool, but thank you to those who are willing to help regardless. I certainly need the help!

" mastering would not really fix this as it's in the mix." - THANK YOU, I actually was counting on mastering to fix some of the EQ things (in my lack of experience), all my mixes feel a bit lo-fi in this way as you mention. really not sure why, but I will work on it.

Back