MIDI two Alesis D4s together

Graymalkin2001

I have a large electronic drum set that requires two D4 drum modules; one for drums, and the second for cymbals.
Before I expanded the set, I used only one D4, and MIDI'd out to an Alesis SR-16 drum machine to record patterns, and back to the D4 for playback using the D4's internal sounds. Worked very well.

Now, as I said, I have expanded my kit. What I'd like to do is essentially the same as the above arrangement using the SR-16, but, of course, using both D4 modules. So, the question is this:

What would be the connections and MIDI settings to connect the first D4 to the second D4, connect the SR-16 for recording patterns, and connecting the SR-16 back to the D4s for playback?

I know that, for folks well versed in MIDI, this might be child's play. For me, it's a challenge! Hence, the request for advice.

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

The merger or similar device also occurred to me, but since the electronic drum set-up is the only practical use I have for MIDI at the moment, I'm hoping for a simple hookup solution.
Yep, "best" is always relative.

Also, since the out is marked out/thru (at least from what I see). You simply daisy chain both units together using midi cable. From the out of one unit to the in of the other and then out from that unit to your DAW.

If your using it for midi, your going to have to change the notes on one of the modules though (as I'm sure you probably already know).

Back