midi system exclusive question

redcake

How can I store midi system exclusive data on my PC?? Is there some inexpensive midi system exclusive librarian program out there?
any info appreciated.

Most sequencer programmes for Midi will accept a MIDI Data Dump.
That dump will also contain the Syst.Ex messages.

I don't know about a Syst.Ex message editor.

Normally before any Midi File starts playing it will first send out the Sys.Ex. messages, so you can always find them in the beginning of any Midi file in the editor of that programme.

Usually the Syst.Ex message contains the information about the MIDI Tool you are using. It may be your keyboard, soundcard, Rythem box, or Midi guitar.

This way the Midi-file to play knows if you use YAMAHA(XS)or Roland(GS)files or whatever equipment you are handling.

[This message has been edited by Hano (edited 06-21-2000).]

http://www.modemss.brisnet.org.au/~mlevoi/midi.html

That's a site from a fellow SCUG member which has a bunch of free tools for sysex editing.

SCUG = Sound Canvas Users Group

BTW: Since sysex commands are just MIDI statements that have no note information, they can be placed anywhere in a MIDI file.
The ones that are placed at the beginning of a .mid file generally do a sysex reset followed by MIDI commands that set up the synth to play the piece that is contained in the MIDI statements to follow.

If you visit the downloads portion of the Alesis site (probably www.alesis.com) you can get Freeloader. This will allow you to store sysex data on your PC. If you ever open a sysex file, it doesn't look like much that makes sense (at least to me, but there are probably resources out there that explain it...??) If you want to edit your data, I would either do it on the machine then just save it as sysex, or buy an editor (I use MQuest, but emagic and motu make them also...as do others). But, just to save data, get Freeloader, very simple and almost bulletproof...thanks Alesis!!

Back