MIDI synth through tube pre

drstawl

Banned
I was attempting to avoid the work I have to do to import and edit some live shows I recorded, so I took a whack at a synth composition. Instead of plugging the synth output (unbalanced RCA) into my sound card I used the dbx 386 1/4" inputs on the front with the S/PDIF output sent to the soundcard.
I didn't normalize the file before mp3 conversion because it was very easy to tweak the file within 0.1 dB of the threshold without using the normalization function.
I encoded it at 256 Kbps in mp3 format and posted it at my website:
http://members.home.net/drstawl/midi.html

In the MP3 gallery, look for L010_sc88.
~3MB for 93 seconds.

Ok, time to come out of the closet...you've had some classical influence, either in training or personal affinity....that thing had an old world feel in the composition meshing nicely with new fangled zeros and ones......so just own up to this musical gene crying to be free from the prejudices of the Louie Louie set and say it loud "I dig classical and I'm proud!"...great sound, great feel, great writing....gibs

No closet required. :)
If music works it works no matter what label is appropriate to describe the vibe to any 3rd party.
Thanks for listening.
I'm most excited about that lead harpsichord/synth line in the 3rd "movement".
At first it was misplaced in time somehow due to a funky mouse maneuver. I experimented with some positionings and settled on the one that you hear.
It's abrupt but not regimented.

I like the music a lot (that breathy tone is great). I love the harpsichord line around 0:30 and the way it ends. But I think I prefer the sound on your last CD to this mp3. Is that because it's mp3?

What'd you tweak rather than use normalizing?

I just got the levels on the original recording close enough to not need to boost them digitally. I already had the performance defined in MIDI. I played it back several times and adjusted the input and output levels on the pre until the peak meter read nearly zero upon recording in Vegas Pro.
Was it the content or the mix that was better on the CD?

The *sound* was better (through headphones). The CD was clearer, deeper, and had more body. As for the content, that takes some time to absorb, and I look forward to so doing.

On a side note, I find it intereting how Gibs hears classical in your music. In addition to the gamelan, I hear Scarlatti too, who I used to listen to. Given the choice, I'd rather listen to you than Scarlatti. Don't let it go to your head. :)

Back