MIDI Drum recording. Alesis DM5 > USB-to-MIDI > Sonar X1

drummermandan02

Hi.
I am trying to record my drums using triggers on my acoustic kit.
I connect the triggers to the Alesis DM5. Then connect my Midi-to-USB converter to the DM5 and my laptop.
I start up Sonar X1, and select the Midi converter from the preferences.

Right this is where I am lost and need some help. When I hit a drum the trigger is doing its and job and sending the signal to my laptop (I can see it spike). But all of the triggers on my kit are coming through on the same channel. How do I split out the channels, so I have a snare, kick, toms etc...? I can't seem to figure that bit out.

Once that it done, then I have a final request for help. I would like to use the sounds from Ezdrummer. What would I need to do to set this up?

I am new to all this, so a dummy's guide to all this would be just what I am looking for!
Hopefully somebody can help with this as I need to get my recording underway ASAP!

Thanks in advance :)

I don't use sonar.

I'm going on a limb here as I don't use the DM5 either, but my guess is there is no way to transmit each drum to a different midi channel with that drum brain. If your goal is to shoot it to EZ drummer you don't wanna bother anyway.

To use EZ drummer, my guess (again not a sonar user and it's one of the few daws I have not used) is that you need to setup an instrument track if sonar has them and place EZ drummer on that track. Or if sonar does it differently then load your instrument and use a midi track routing the midi input to the USB midi converter and the output to EZ drummer.

Sorry I can't be of more help, this is pretty much how it's done in most DAWs though (pro tools, cubase, reaper etc...)

Back