Midi-Configuration - Supernova II and Sonar-SW-Sequenzer

planet_house

Hi,
I have tried to control my Supernova II from the Computer with Sonar 7.
First it seems like it would work. In Supernovas "Program"-Mode icon select the Patches and the Sound is working fine. But in this Mode, I can only play one Sound at the same time. In "Performance"-Mode I am not possible to control anything with Sonar. I've assigned a separate Midi-Channel for every Part of the Supernova, but there is no reaction.

How can I use the Supernova as a polyphonic Sythesizer using Sonar ?

Thanks and Greetz
Planet

Instrument Definitions may help, and

Hi,

I own the Novation Supernova II also, and also own Sonar v.3.

I have not attempted to use my Novation with my computer and Sonar, but do use my Novation with the sequencer in my Kurzweil K2500XS.

I took the time to download the instrument definitions for the time I would want to use it with my PC. I'll upload them to you, just in case you have not got them. I think this site allows one to upload ZIP files, so that is what I will do.

2nd, I control my Novation using the sequencer of my Kurzweil K2500XS, and I'm able to use it just fine. There is an issue or two with this arrangement that I'm sure I will work out when I put my mind to it - something I need to do in the near weeks ahead. I'll discuss these below.

First, have you changed the default Global MIDI channel # in your Novation to be unique from the MIDI channels being used in Sonar?

a> The Novation needs to have a MIDI number assigned as Global for transmissions. The manual highly recommends changing the default #1 to a number from 9 to 16, since they think you'll most practically will use Parts 1 thru 8 of Performance Mode with corresponding MIDI number channels. In any case, I set mine to 16. In my Kurzweil Sequencer (same as for Sonar, I am sure), you have your various tracks assigned with a MIDI number/channel.

IF you are attempting to transmit any tracks into your Novation AND your Global MIDI channel conflicts, nothing will work. So, did you do that already? If any of your Sonar tracks going into your Novation match the Global MIDI channel, that will be the conflict.

b> The volume knob on the Novation sends MIDI Controller 97 information when you turn it. That happens to be the Decrement function. This is a problem for me in my Kurzweil since when I turn the volume knob on my Novation, it causes my Kurzweil to change program sounds. I have not figured out how to prevent this without purchasing a piece of hardware by MIDI Solutions capable of filtering out unwanted MIDI messages. That piece of equipment is $150.

Anyway, that problem is not an issue if I have disconnected the 2nd MIDI cable to my sequencer, i.e. MIDI in into the Novation, but nothing coming back to my Kurzweil, or simply make sure my Novation is at maximum volume before I start, and control volume changes through my Mackie Mixer.

Since all the buttons and sliders on the Supernova II send MIDI information, you may inadvertently be transmitting changes into Sonar, IF you are moving sliders or knobs. That is, if your Novation's MIDI Out is connected to your Sonar's IN. If not, then that cannot be an issue.

c> Another issue I have found with the Novation is that when you have all those parts assigned to various MIDI channels, you cannot play all those individual parts from the keyboard, without constantly pushing the button for the corresponding part. The only way I have found that you can play all the parts as programmed, live, is if all the parts are in OMNI (or Global) MIDI mode. This is fine, IF you are not doing sequencing. But if you wish to use your Novation as a Master Keyboard controller while simultaneously using the Sequencer to it, it ain't gonna happen.

If you have overcome this problem, please let me know. As we both know, Novation does not support this instrument any longer. They never really did.

Attachments

• supernovaII Definition for Cakewalk.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I am so sorry, but short time after I wrote this thread I went seriously ill ... Now, after 4 Jears of rehabilitation I found your answer here in this forum. Thank you so much for your hints and the INS-file. Because of my resettlement to an other city I will setup my Soundstudio in a new way and I will try to adapt your hints. If aou want, I will give you a reply.

Sincerily Tom

Hope you're doing much better now!
Yeah, let me hear if my suggestions work for you. I've been playing around with my Supernova II again just this past week, after not touching it for a long time.

Back