Microphone Problems

DrewE

I recently bought an MXL 770 microphone from a garage sale. When I took it home, I plugged it into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and the "halo" light turned green, showing that the interface was getting a signal from the mic, but when I tried to record anything with it (I am using Ableton Live 9 Lite) it didn't pick anything up. I press record on the program, and the cursor starts to move across the screen, but I don't even get that sound wave thing. I plugged in my guitar using the same XLR cable, and it worked, signifying that the cable isn't the problem. Is the microphone the problem? And if so, how do I know what the specific problem is with the mic, and is it fixable?

Thanks for your help!!

I recently bought an MXL 770 microphone from a garage sale. When I took it home, I plugged it into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and the "halo" light turned green, showing that the interface was getting a signal from the mic, but when I tried to record anything with it (I am using Ableton Live 9 Lite) it didn't pick anything up. I press record on the program, and the cursor starts to move across the screen, but I don't even get that sound wave thing. I plugged in my guitar using the same XLR cable, and it worked, signifying that the cable isn't the problem. Is the microphone the problem? And if so, how do I know what the specific problem is with the mic, and is it fixable?

Thanks for your help!!

Quick Update: I figured out how to get that sound wave thing to appear, but the microphone only picks up white noise; Whenever I clap or snap in front of the mic in order to test it, there is no change in the sound wave thing. Is this a common issue, and can it be fixed?

Your guitar has XLR output?

Phantom power is on?

An XLR can have a fault that allows a non phantom powered source to work but prevents a phantom powered source from working.

I was thinking the same and XLR for a guitar. I'm guessing but is there a chance you have an XLR cable to jack plug, and you are using the jack inputs on the combo connector - which DON'T have phantom power on them?

Ibanez acoustic.... :)

Yes, they exist. I was more curious whether he meant he connected a guitar directly or through an amp or preamp with XLR output. Either way it's not that useful diagnostically because it will probably still produce a signal without a ground or phantom.

And of course the cable has to be XLR at both ends or it won't pass phantom power.

Back