Microphone for recording bass guitar

PorterhouseMusic

Mitakuye Oyasin
I have always recorded bass guitar direct. I don't recall ever micing a cabinet. I've got the 5017 mic pre which has the ability to blend a DI signal with a mic signal. So I thought I'd give this a try.

Any suggestions on the type of microphone for the bass cabinet? When I have spare time I quite enjoy experimenting but I kinda wanted to cut to the chase in order to get a part down.

I'll be using a Fender P cabled into a 4x10 Bassman Reissue. I've got some decent LDC's to choose from as well as 57 and 421 dynamics.
Just like when I record guitars I will be putting blankets over the microphone and the front of the cab for isolation.

Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
I'm up for doing a video - although all my bass cabs feature 10" drivers, 2, 4 or 8. I suppose it would also be best to try a couple of different basses and styles - so a sort of bash it style, and a lighter, more subtle style? If Porterhouse and I did the same basic test, with some common mics, but different basses and different playing in different rooms - the results could be interesting. It might be say, the 57 on Porterhouse's bass and cab sounds really good, yet mine is worse, etc? I'll leave it to Porterhouse for the moment, unless he thinks it a good idea?

I think it's a great idea. What gets in the way of me participating is my intense work schedule. I haven't set foot in the stooge in about 10 weeks. I could probably throw something down fairly quickly as a test - but I won't be able to really dig in and try a bunch of placements, etc.

Any bass drum mic will give good results, as will the 421.

What you might want to think about is what is the di signal lacking, and pick the mic that will accentuate that.

For example, if the Amp gives the bass a growl, choose a mic that will capture that well.

It is (was?) quite common to use a bass speakers as a mic on a kick drum. I can see no reason why that same logic cannot be applied to a bass cab? That would I think give very hefty bass tone.

Dave.

It is (was?) quite common to use a bass speakers as a mic on a kick drum. I can see no reason why that same logic cannot be applied to a bass cab? That would I think give very hefty bass tone.

Dave.
I cobbled this one together. Its cool as a supplement to a mic on kick but it's a muddy mess on bass

Attachments

• IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
That's kind of what Geoff Emerick was doing on Paul McCartney's bass back on the "Revolver" and "Sgt Pepper" sessions in '66/'67. I'm not sure if he used an actual bass speaker, but he used some kind of speaker as a mic. Along with Macca using a Rickenbacker bass, this revolutionized his bass sounds.

Back