Mic spec (low self noise)

davecg321

Just wondering what kind of detail I should be looking for on any given microphone spec that tells us whether or not it has high or low self noise.

I am looking to buy a decent matched pair of SDCs and don't know what I should be looking for on the spec sheet to give me definite clarification on mic noise (as most companies advertise low self noise on most products!)

Also I'm using a presonus firestudio project which I'm led to believe has very quiet preamp right....?

Many thanks

Start with your budget.

Then hit a few audio equipment retailer sites and see what they have in your budget.

Then compare the specs.

Start with your budget.

Then hit a few audio equipment retailer sites and see what they have in your budget.

Then compare the specs.

Excellent advice. It's probably more useful to look at reviews than specs, and ask around online/look for user opinions when you've zeroed in on a few mics. Excellent specs might not make a mic sound nice.

Frequency Range 20Hz - 20kHz
Output Impedance 100Ω
Maximum SPL 137dB SPL (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1KΩ load)
Maximum Output Level 13.7mV
Sensitivity -31.9dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (25.00mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz
Equivalent Noise Level (A-weighted) 5dB

Above is the specification for the Rode NT1a, probably THE quietest general purpose mic around.

The specification to look for is Equivalent Noise Level, the lower the better. Note however that ENL must be weighed with sensitivity. The Shure SM7b has buggerall self noise but such a low output that the combination with all but a fabulous preamp is going to be noisier than the Rode.

SDCs are going to be noisier than LDCs in general because the smaller diaphragm gives a lower sensitivity. Middle of the road mics like my AKG P 150s (now the P170) are specced at an ENL of 20dB and I have certainly not found noise ever a problem (ZED 10 mixer pres, NI KA6. Even Berry 802!). If you pay more than the £70 or so of the 170s you should get lower noise/greater output.

But, application is all. 20dB is VERY VERY quiet for a room and your mic/pre can never be better than that!

Dave.

Back