Mic for Violin

musicguy500

I need some opinions on a certain mic: the Rode M3. Would it be a decent start for recording string instruments, mainly the violin? I've heard good reviews about it, but wasn't entirely sure. If you've tried it out, is it good? Is it bad? Are there better mics out there more fit for string instruments? I would really appreciate the help.

I find the M3 a bit harsh on a microphone--it wouldn't be me first choice at all.

Have you considered a ribbon mic? The smooth top end works well on violin recordings.

If you have money to burn you can always tray a Royer but, for a lot less, the sE X1R punches nicely above its weight and the Avantone CR14, a bit more, is a very nice violin mic.

I did consider ribbon mics but just wasn't sure whether ribbon or condenser mics were fit for violin recordings. Thank you for the advice.

PS So if I do choose to get a ribbon, then I'd need a preamp instead of an external phantom power?

Last edited:
This mike is intended as a hanging mike for ensemble recording.

Audio-Technica PRO 45 | Sweetwater.com

However, it is my go-to microphone for recording violin.

It delivers an immense amount of detail, and is very even across the strings.

I put it on a stand, about 2 foot from the violin and pointing in its general direction, and that works a treat.

Edit:

Here is a link to track that demonstrates the mike. The violin starts about 20 seconds:

https://app.box.com/s/qbngctw87jwd7tw56ing

line audio om1 Line Audio Design - Made in Sweden

check out the frequency response...almost completely flat and you can get a PAIR for extremely cheap,

they also make an affordable pair of cardiods here: Line Audio Design - Made in Sweden

The beyer m130 would be a good choice for a ribbon mic, it's amazing, so is the beyer m160.

The only downside with ribbons is that you need a very good pre-amp to get the most out of them, aka like millennia or AEA, but I just use a cloudlifter with my m160 and it works very well.

Thank you for all the advice! I also heard that the Cascade Mic FAT HEAD II are excellent.

I kinda assumed that all I would be needing would be the mic(in need), audio interface for the phantom power, and other accessories. Never occurred to me that I would be needing a separate preamp as well.

Now I have more questions. But still better to question it now than question it later. Thank you.

So now I know that ribbon mics such as the Cascade fat head mic or avantone cr14 are near perfect mics for the violin. If I were to purchase a ribbon, then are there any preamps (around the $200-500) that could be recommended?

PS The focusrite scarlett 2i2 looks decent and it's both an audio interface and preamp. Would this perhaps suffice?

With any decent (and that needn't mean ultra expensive) audio interface, you do NOT need a separate mic pre amp. If it provides phantom power it has, by definition, one or more microphone pre amps. Obviously this doesn't include the 39 cent built in sound chip that came with your computer!

As an aside, you don't need phantom power for a ribbon mic--indeed some ribbons can be damaged by phantom power (though this isn't nearly as common as some people make out).

The 2i2 has a good amount of clean gain. You should only need a cloud lifter if you end up choosing a microphone with an unusually low output level.

Back