mic for recording violin solo?

sefarius

hey i'm planning to get a condenser mic in order to record violin solos in home.
but there are just so many options and i'm totally torn between some of them.
behringer b-2 / blue spark / at2020 are my top choices... yet!
BTW i don't really get the difference when i compare their "samples"! :D
is it me or their basically the same?
tnx

Hi,
If you can't hear the differences it could be a number of things.
1: Maybe there isn't much of a difference, although this is unlikely.
2: Maybe your ear just isn't used to picking out fine differences like that, yet?
3: Your monitoring setup might not be ideal.
A different that's obvious in a nice monitoring room with good speakers may not be as apparent on earbuds, for example.

I'd look to the future when choosing mics.
If you sing and are likely to look for a vocal mic soon, pick an LDC to cover both jobs.
If you think you might stereo record instruments in future, look for a paid of SDCs.

I've had success with both the Shure SM81 and the Oktava Mk219 for viola/violin.

hi Steenamaroo
well maybe its becuz i was listening with earpods.
Shure SM81 and the Oktava Mk219 are a bit too high for my budget.
i can spend 200 bucks max.
my other options are rode nt1a and m audio nova. i forgot to mention.
;)

I wouldn't use a condenser mic at all

first choice would be a Royer 121 ribbon but assuming that money is a consideration, a more budget friendly Cascade FatHead BE ribbon would probably sound nice without all the harshness of a cheap condenser on an instrument with a tendency toward ice pick sounds to begin with

The cascade BE (Bare esssentials) costs little more than an SM58 and the results are surprisingly good

I'd use a ribbon, but only in a good sounding room. I'd avoid bright condensers, and I'd probably pick that Oktava, but the Rode isn't too bright. Warm mics on violins for recording are my goal.

I use 3 mics when I record violin. Trying to remember which ones are in the picture. I'm hunting for my notes. I believe one mic is the Shure KSM42 but I'm not sure what the spaced pair is ATM

DSC02758.jpg

hi Steenamaroo
i can spend 200 bucks max.
my other options are rode nt1a and m audio nova. i forgot to mention.
;)

Get a pair of M-Audio Pulsar Mk 11 small condensers.... $200 on ebay for the pair.

Very clear and smooth.... no harsh top end and they punch way above their weight.

Back