mic cables

dobro

Seven months ago, when I heard it was possible to record using a computer, I rushed out and bought, amongst other things, some standard mic cables. Right now, I'm in a putting-it-to-the-test phase. So I recorded a vocal track tonight with a Shure mic and the standard cable I bought. Then I recorded virtually the same vocal track with the same mic but with a Monster cable I bought last month with my mixer. What a difference! The standard cable track's got little volume, and a piddling little anemic waveform compared to the track using the Monster cable, whose waveform is all genki, wholewheat and robust. This is not a pitch for Monster cables - it's a double thumbs up for quality balanced cables. Kids, just say *no* to crap cables.

dobro,

Welcome to the "Dark Side" (maybe S8-N can help you with that part). Now it's just a matter of convinceing the other half that there really is a difference between the two cables and that now you have to replace all your cables; good luck!

Yo DoBRO:

I have a couple of sort of expensive MOnster cables; one is for my synth, made for keyboards, and the other is for my mic. They are better performers than the ProCo cables I use. So, as time goes on, I'll buy a couple more Monster cables to use with other parts of the chain.

There is a great deal of logorrhea about quality cables but there is quality to search out in our recording world.

Green Hornet

Back