MF Stupid deal 12/05/08

bout 6 months ago, this was the stupid deal but it was $59....I bought 4...sold 2 for $145 and still have 2 that rarely get used.....

Anyone have an opinion about how good/bad this mic is? Worth the $80?

I'd say if you have the cash and even ask about this mic you should do yourself a favor and buy it. ;)
For some voices it's the perfect mic. It's useful for voices that are well rounded in the first place and that don't need a mic for color or correction. It'll let the singer's natural voice shine. It can handle a lot of SPL while still having plenty of detail too. Also it has some of the lowest self noise of any mic, ever. You "can" compress the living daylights out of this mic and still keep noise tame.

For example I used a M177 for vocals and under snare on these tracks:

I tried a slew of mics ranging from 2,000 mics to the 100 mics and we all liked the M177 the most lol. :D

Is Wide Eye Panic your band, or just a band you recorded? Cool tunes, I dl'ed all 5 tracks on the site. Cant really crank em up and give it a good listen now tho, I'll check em out in my car on the way home.

I'm gonna pick up one of those mics, I am in the market and prolly won't find a better deal I can afford so... Plus I can prolly recoup the funds on ebay if I need to, doesn't look like I can lose here!

Is Wide Eye Panic your band, or just a band you recorded? Cool tunes, I dl'ed all 5 tracks on the site. Cant really crank em up and give it a good listen now tho, I'll check em out in my car on the way home.

I'm gonna pick up one of those mics, I am in the market and prolly won't find a better deal I can afford so... Plus I can prolly recoup the funds on ebay if I need to, doesn't look like I can lose here!
I don't think you could loose, it's a good utility mic found in some pretty good studios. The 177 is still catching on, but I think I heard a while back CAD was going to discontinue it. Not sure how true that is though.

Wide Eye Panic is not my band. They are good friends and they think of me as the 6th member of the band. I help them with a lot of stuff, it's a band I have faith will do good as a band and are just the coolest guys. If you like their free tracks, I suggest buying their CD "The Process", lots of goodies on it I think.

tarnationsauce, those tracks sound great man. what's your signal chain for each use?
Thanks for the compliment! :)

from memory:
Vocals: CAD M177 (sm57 backing vox) > SCA N72 >Distressor
Bass: Audix i5 > SCA N72
Guitars: 2xSM57 > SCA A12
Drums:
--Snare: SM57 > SCA A12
--Under Snare: CAD M177 > SCA A12
--OH: CAD e70's in XY config > SCA N72
--Toms: Cheap Chinese SDC's (can't remember what ones) > Mackie 28.8 pre's (no EQ) amazing they sound as good as they do lol. Lots of tuning and the drummer Andrew Kuhn knows his shit.

yeah those drums sound awesome espcially given the gear used. I haven't actually given tracking my kit a serious go.... maybe i will soon. know anybody who needs drum tracks?

i've heard good things about it here and also like the looks of the response curve (not that it means a whole lot, but compared to a lot of similarly priced mics, it looks good).

i gave it a hard consideration at 8:00 this morning, and finally ordered one a couple hours ago. i figure, what's $80 in the grand scheme of things? i've spent far more on things i don't use anyway. at worst, this will be one of my lesser mistakes. :o

let me know how she sounds drossfile. i've had my eye on one for quite some time now, but i'm dirt broke at the moment.

Back