Members average number of mics and a list...

How many mics do you own?

Votes: 127 7.8%

Votes: 155 9.5%
  • 3-5

Votes: 408 24.9%
  • 6-7

Votes: 221 13.5%
  • 8-12

Votes: 326 19.9%
  • 13 or over

Votes: 399 24.4%

• Total voters
Nice!! Why not try recording a band with all 400 mics. :D Throw the first 100 on the drums just in case. You can never have too many mics on a drumset. :eek:

:laughings:

Actually one of the nicest drumset sounds I heard was made with a single mic. - a Soundfield. :D

Though it did lack the kick drum a bit - so I would say two mics: a Soundfield plus one for the kick. :D :drunk:

My current list not including a few odd ones that I just bought for collection purposes, I will add these at a later date, and the list is in alphabetical order not quality order:

AKG C4000B
AKG D330
AKG D320
AKG D310, 2 off
AKG D19
AKG D12
AKG D112
Audio Technica AT3525, 3 off
Audio Technica AT2035
Audio Technica AT2010
Beyerdynamic M200
Fathead Ribbon, 2 off
K-Micro Silver Bullets Matched Pair
MXL V67
Rode NT 1000, 2 off
Rode NT 1 (early version), 2 off
Rode NT2 (early version)
Shure SM57, 2 off
Shure SM58, 5 off
Sennheiser ME80, 3 off
Sennheiser ME40, 3 off
Sennheiser ME20, 2 off
Sennheiser MD421, 2 off

2 x Shure Brothers 556S (love the sound, hard to use because I can't find a thread adapter to mount on a stand)
1 x Shure Brothers PE-56
1 x Shure Beta58
2 x Audio Technica MB2000
1 x MXL V67G
1 x Shure PG81 (this is my most expensive mic, and it's also the only one i'd trade away in a heartbeat)
1 x MXL R144
1 x Calrad something or other (non-functioning at the moment)

Most of these were acquired either free or very cheap. I desperately want to expand the collection, but other things require attention right now, like a power conditioner and an amplifier for my passive monitors... oh, and rent and groceries.

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with them. I'm going to get my Oktava MK-319 modded and may pick up another TLM102 for stereo miking and then I'm done!

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with them. I'm going to get my Oktava MK-319 modded and may pick up another TLM102 for stereo miking and then I'm done!

for a month...;)

still working on my locker.

SM57 *4
Beta 52A
SM7B
Mxl 990
Mxl 991
Mxl 993 *2

Still looking into the first big LDC purchase. Stuck between the Bluebird, 67g, or looking around for a used TLM102

Wow...I own only two brands of microphones lol

for a month...;)

Still looking into the first big LDC purchase. Stuck between the Bluebird, 67g, or looking around for a used TLM102

From those I would go for the TLM102 without a doubt. I've owned the others and the Bluebird and v67g were possibly the worst mics I've owned!

The Neumann is an extremely versatile mic and shines on a lot of sources. It's my favorite mic for acoustic guitar, trumpet, sax and certain vocals!

From those I would go for the TLM102 without a doubt. I've owned the others and the Bluebird and v67g were possibly the worst mics I've owned!

The Neumann is an extremely versatile mic and shines on a lot of sources. It's my favorite mic for acoustic guitar, trumpet, sax and certain vocals!

The v67g is nice if you get it mod'ed. I agree on the Bluebird; to me, it sounds dull and lifeless.

Well, as of last head count....

sm57
sm58
CAD 7-piece drum mic kit
MXL v67g
EV re320
Shure 55Sh
Sennheiser MK4
CAD m179

So yeah, not bad for a broke college student..although on reflection, these are probably why I'm broke :D

I've got my eyeball on the Avantone cv-12, the Sputnik, and a pair of Rode NT5's...so yeah, I'd guess one of those will be next to join my family of misfits!

The v67g is nice if you get it mod'ed. I agree on the Bluebird; to me, it sounds dull and lifeless.

Ah I see. I tried the stock version of the v67g. Interestingly I found the Bluebird to be the exact opposite. I would say it's the brightest mic I've ever tried but in a nasty way.

Back