MBook Pro M1 - Which dock/ USB hub do you use?

BobbyD89

I have a MacBook Pro M1 Max I want to use for audio recording. Like most of us, I need a plethora of inputs. 2 monitors, lots of USB ports, and some Thunderbolt 4 ports. I'm finding a lot of "docks" that are 300 to 400 dollars that still only have 3 to 4 USB ports. Any ideas?

Thank you@!

Hey there, & welcome to HR! I have an M2, but -- same deal, the I/O is kept to a minimum.

I'd recommend not skimping on this part of your setup. My hub is an Anker 575 -- though on their official website, they say it isn't available anymore. I can happily recommend their products, but make sure you check and double-check for compatibility.

Hope this helps!

Amazon provided mine, but the only one that seems to be trouble free is the type that has a couple of sticky out usbs that fit into the MacBook. On a desk this is by far the best. Rubbish on your lap. The large dangly types hanging on a single usb are not so good because they use the MacBooks power supply and can overload it and shut the usb down. They have so many sockets all using power that they’ve not been so good. I’ve had a couple of others that get hot! As in the adaptor gets hot with nothing plugged in! The ones that seem most useful look like these.

Attachments

• IMG_0206.png
    IMG_0206.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 2
My daughter uses an HP Thunderbolt G2 dock which has 3 USB ports, two video ports, ethernet and a Thunderbolt port. She keep 2 monitors, her network cable, a printer, combo wireless keyboard/mouse plugged in. It's powered, so there's no drain on your Mac's power supply. You would still have the ports on the Mac.

You can get the G2 doc for around $200.

When I got my M1 macbook air, which is docked 90% of the time, I grabbed a Targus Dock412 for very cheap.
It might not cover your needs but it was enough for mine.
HDMI/Mini Displayport, USB-C for power, which passes through to the laptop, 2 X USB 3.0, and Ethernet.

As far as I know it's only good for one single external screen. not dual/multiscreen, but I thought I'd throw it out there for anyone else reading this.

I have a OWC 14 Port Dock - I have an older one but the new ones are just about the same.

OWCTB3DK14PSG-pimid63534-lg.jpeg
OWCTB3DK14PSG-pimid63537-lg.jpeg

Back