Marshall MXL 2001P Condensor Mic.

fendermustang

Hello,

Can I get any info from the group about this mic.? I've been looking to get a condensor mic, and have been looking at the Rode mics, but also saw this model. Has anyone used this mic. and if so how did you like it?

Thanks!!!

I suggest you use the search engine here and search the Microphone Forum. You'll most likely you'll find your answer in there. Don't be afraid to ask a more in-depth question after the search; if you have one.

I actually own one of these mics. Now, first off, I record in an unfriendly environment (basement, cement floor, plywood walls--you use what you've got syndrome), but even at that, i feel that my vocals sound "dead." There is no pleasant ambience. I get the same thing when recording acoustic guitar (and its a much better guitar than my vocal capabilities). It is hotter than my Shure SM57, but basically that is about it, so I don't have to mess with proximity micing. I guess bottom line is spend a little more money. If you have the bucks I hear the Marshall tube mic (the 77?) is getting nice reviews. Otherwise, the Rode seems to be the mic de jour for under $300.

Peace, Jim

I've got one and it's great; although I have never used high-end mics. All the reviews I have read were very positive except the ProRec
article. For under $200 with a cool shockmount you can't go wrong! NT1's are good but kind of
plasticy?
Rock On!

Well it's getting interesting!
Im looking for a mike that will have good bass response and not make it sound like the vocalist has a nasal problem.I used a Audio Technia condenser and it made me sound very high noted. Thanks for all the reply's

I've heard bad things about the Marshall, but never tried one. The Rode NT1 gives you a warm vintage sound that is very welcome for both acoustic guitars and vocals. I'm very satisfied with mine, personally, and I've compared it to a lot of different mics in it's price range and above. If you've got the money, a TLM103 is probably a better mic - I really like the TLM103, but to my ears, the sonic difference between the TLM103 and the Rode NT1 doesn't justify the $800 price difference.

J.R.

Cypher:

Don't forget to take into acount the rest of your system (ie. monitoring system, pres, etc.). Maybe you have, but, it's to everyone else too.

Check out Recording magazine's review on it, and the 2003 (last months issue with the BR* review). It's a pretty glowing review, with a lot of nice things to say about it.

I have an MXL 2001-P and have used it for voice over work for over 10 years. It has a great sound and actually as my room is fairly 'dead' I get a good bass response from it. I would highly recommend this microphone.

Back