Marshal Modefour

BroKen_H

Re-member
Saw one of these on Craigslist last night for $160. If it weren't so loud I might be tempted. But 350W seems a bit overboard. Any opinions on that head? I'm pretty sure that's a decent price, but I have no ref for that either.

That 350w is a little misleading. It's a hybrid. If you're thinking of getting some classic Marshall sounds out of it, think again. I know a fella that has one of these. It's fizzy and not very good IMO. It's clean channel is a decent pedal platform though if you're into that sort of thing.

You will also need a cab. The Mode 4 head is mostly poo, but the Mode 4 cabs are kick ass.

Yeah, I saw it was hybrid. Tube pres with ss out, like my old Yamaha bass head...to a bass, that's a good sound. :D To a guitar, not so much :(
Okay, I'll let someone else have it. Still watching for an AC30 under $500...Saw a Wharfdale loaded AC15 CC1 for $450, but that seems a bit steep still.

If you find a working AC30 for less than 500, buy it immediately. That would be like catching a live chupacabra.

Hybrid guitar amps can be okay if you manage your expectations. But they'll never compare to an all-tube amp. Modern technology has advanced at an alarming rate, but for guitar amps, still nothing beats the ancient caveman technology of a bunch of glowing glass bottles passing electrons through a vacuum.

Yeah, they've made it mainstream under a grand, but $750 is about the best I've seen. May have to settle for a 15...The AC15 is still all tube, yes?

Yeah, they've made it mainstream under a grand, but $750 is about the best I've seen. May have to settle for a 15...The AC15 is still all tube, yes?

Yup. Good amps.

Watch out for the AC15V, or VR, or something like that. It's a hybrid.

AC15 = 15 watt (all tube) 1 x 12" speaker.

AC30 = 30 watt (all tube) 2 x 12" speakers.

Outside of that, there aren't many differences. Both have effects loops, both have "top boost" and "normal" inputs - normal doesn't really have an EQ section, top boost gives you a 3-band EQ - and both have switchable reverb and tremolo but neither come with the footswitch. Add another $40 to the overall cost for that. I "settled" for the AC15 myself but I don't need the volume or headroom of the AC30 as I don't gig. Sweet little amp, regardless.

Like Greg said, watch out for the VR series as they are hybrid...

Back