Maple Or Birch

Either will be fine. You won't really be able to tell the difference anyway because the heads you use and how you tune them matters more than shell wood.

Quoted for truth. Head choice and tuning, as well as actual drum size, matter more than wood choice.

That being said, if I had to pick between the two, I'd go for maple, but that's personal preference, and is very far down the line as far as tonal choices to be made.

I agree that either will serve you well and that shell sizes, choice of head and tuning have significant impact on the sound of a kit, regardless of wood.

I own both a maple kit and a birch kit. I tend to prefer smaller size shells (the birch kit has a 20" kick with 10", 12" and 14" toms) and the maple kit has a 22" kit with 10", 12". 14" and 16" toms) and I use rather standard choice of heads (G2s/G1s on toms) Emad on kicks and coated, vented on snares).

Live I prefer the maple (better projection of the low end) and in the studio I perfer the birch (more focused mid range tone)- but the differences are subtle and noticable to me only becuase I have played both kits often.

All things equal, I prefer birch, a little more "pop" to me. As Xdrummer said...a little more in the mid-range. But there's so much more in front of the type of wood that goes into the drum sound.

If you have to ask though, you probably couldn't tell the difference between the two without a good bit of time playing both. No offense. I think you'll be quite happy with a Starclassic kit regardless, beautiful drums

I have always gotten the most compliments from sound guys, unsolicited mind you, from my birch set. And I have always found it easier to tune a birch set especially when in an unfamiliar place. Plus I think birch has more tuning range.

My maple set is either sounds good or like ass .

Now while I agree that almost any drum, no matter the wood, can sound good with new heads and proper tuning, there are sometimes not so subtle differences between woods.

I would also say you don't have to spend a fortune to get a really good set nowadays. The last 2 sets I have bought are mid-level and then I customize to fit my needs.

Back