Making audio into midi

AvB

Are there any freewares that can make an audio file into midi? The online one I tried was hopeless.

Most are useless when the audio is a mess of wanted and unwanted stuff. Cubase will happily take a bass line and turn it into a working midi file with little tweaking, but plug a guitar in and twang more than two notes, and it's edit time tonight! Sometimes, so bad it's not possible. When is an overtone a real note and not just an octave or octave and a half above the fundamental? That's the problem. Is that quiet other sound in the track a note, a harmonic or what ......?

Most are useless when the audio is a mess of wanted and unwanted stuff. Cubase will happily take a bass line and turn it into a working midi file with little tweaking, but plug a guitar in and twang more than two notes, and it's edit time tonight! Sometimes, so bad it's not possible. When is an overtone a real note and not just an octave or octave and a half above the fundamental? That's the problem. Is that quiet other sound in the track a note, a harmonic or what ......?
I get what you're saying. Distortion would make it even harder, with its overtones.

Ableton DAW is doing a free trial at the moment, that definitely converts audio to midi to a point. Better if you have stem files obviously. Give it a go. Why what are you doing?
The guitarist I've written with sent me a riff and chords on video. I'm having trouble working it out. I would ask him to teach it to me, if he hadn't died the other week. He started the band I'm in, and I want to make his last work into a song for him. The words await.

The guitarist I've written with sent me a riff and chords on video. I'm having trouble working it out. I would ask him to teach it to me, if he hadn't died the other week. He started the band I'm in, and I want to make his last work into a song for him. The words await.
I am in the same position, my bass player died. No way on earth I can replicate what he did....But if you have a video I suggest you slow it down super slow to try and catch the chords. Best of luck.

I am in the same position, my bass player died. No way on earth I can replicate what he did....But if you have a video I suggest you slow it down super slow to try and catch the chords. Best of luck.

Hurts in two ways, doesn't it? I can get the chords. It's the lead riff that beats me. I think I've got the first three or four notes. I can't even work on the Em scale for it, as he sometimes used more than one in a riff.

Hurts in two ways, doesn't it? I can get the chords. It's the lead riff that beats me. I think I've got the first three or four notes. I can't even work on the Em scale for it, as he sometimes used more than one in a riff.
Hurts big time......lost my career and life for a few years but back on track now..better late than never... but onward and upward.. this is my bass player..even my best mates can't replicate what he did.x

Reactions: AvB
Hurts big time......lost my career and life for a few years but back on track now..better late than never... but onward and upward.. this is my bass player..even my best mates can't replicate what he did.x

Big ouch. I'll watch the video in the morning. I'm out playing tonight.

If you want/can you could share the info he gave you and we could all have a listen and see if we can work it out? Many ears might do it - as it's important. I've done this too - my friend who was also our bandleader died this year. We decided not to carry on - just wouldn't have been right. He'd been ill for a while but not really badly, but it meant he played wrong notes. We igored them. At the end he suggested we recorded his part and he could mime it - we all agreed, but his playing was so bad, I played lots of it when he'd gone, and he always kept saying why am I playing the wrong inversion of this chord or that chord - and he never knew he didn't it was me.

If you want/can you could share the info he gave you and we could all have a listen and see if we can work it out? Many ears might do it - as it's important. I've done this too - my friend who was also our bandleader died this year. We decided not to carry on - just wouldn't have been right. He'd been ill for a while but not really badly, but it meant he played wrong notes. We igored them. At the end he suggested we recorded his part and he could mime it - we all agreed, but his playing was so bad, I played lots of it when he'd gone, and he always kept saying why am I playing the wrong inversion of this chord or that chord - and he never knew he didn't it was me.
Some bands do stop, when one them dies. Thin Lizzie became Blackstar Riders with all new songs. You're doing what's right for you. Thank you for wanting to help. Mark's video is

Back