Mackie Onyx Pres vs RNP Pres

xiwiwix

I have a Mackie 1640 and I love it. I upgraded from Motu 828 MKII and Digitmax LT. Very nice and clear, but I need some thing with a nice warmth to it, but I'm not saying the Onxy are cold by any means. Are the RNP in the same ball park as the onyx pres? Would the RNP be an upgrade in quality? Yes I understand different preamps give different textures, but thats not what I'm asking.

Sorry but I dont think that was an upgrade, I would of kept the Motu and the Digimax.

xiwiwix said:
Would the RNP be an upgrade in quality? Yes I understand different preamps give different textures, but thats not what I'm asking.

What's your definition of "an upgrade in quality?"

What benchmark would something have to meet in order to qualify as "an upgrade?"

Ironklad Audio said:
i dunno...i've heard the MOTU preamps are pretty crap

The Digimax pre's and the Motu pre's are definetly better that the Mackie pre's

Carter said:

I've used several Motu 828 MKII's. They're preamps are pitiful. Just sayin is all :) . The digimax is probably another story....but hey nobody answered the poor guys real question!

(Personally, I don't know the answer ;) )

The vlz pres are fine. They work perfectly well for 90% of the people making music in their homes. (not that 90% are using them). I have the 1642 for live stuff. It's great with the exception of the bad soldering.
I have the rnp also.( up for sale if you want it ) It's a lot more accurate on things like drums. It handles transients better. But you mentioned warmth. The rnp is not what I would consider warm. Be careful about warm though you have to know what you mean by it.(smooth, distorted,etc ) The color the preamp put in to the sound is a function of how you use it. Lots of pres can be distorted a little and give you the warmer sound. Try using the pad and turning up the gain.
Mics are as big a part of it and probably a better way to go in terms of bang for the buck.
I say stick with what you have and learn how to make it do what you want before you go out and spend money on something else.

ONYX Better

I had the RNP and took it back to the store (I did keep their RNC). I did a simple A/B test RNP against my Onyx 1220 and the Onyx did sound better, I just liked the way it sounded over the RNP. Plus for nearly the same money I got 4 pres with 4 separate outs as well.

Carter said:

I definitely disagree with you there. I had an 896 and an onyx for a while and the onyx was loads better. I wouldn't be ashamed of recording with the onyx, whereas the 896 pres were definitely muddy and had much less detail than the onyx.

I too would agree that the Onyx preamps sound much better to me than any of the MOTU ones. As far as the Presonus goes, I find them to actually sound very similar. Either is a step up from the MOTU in my opinion. As far as the RNP goes, I may like it a little better for some things than the Mackie Onyx sound, but not nearly enough of a difference to pay so much more for the RNP in comparison to a console.

Did you actually hear, or were you told?

i have never used a MOTU preamp...i was simply mirroring the opinions i've heard of them, which is that they aren't that great

has the guy who's bashing the onyx for the MOTU stuff ever used an onyx pre? ever A/B'd one against the onyx, or RNP(since that IS the topic of this thread)? probably not.

anyways...i haven't used the RNP either, but loads and loads of folks seem to characterize them as fairly clean/neutral, which is roughly the same opinion that you'll hear regarding the onyx pres. my personaly opinion is that your $$ would be better spent elsewhere, but what do i know?

Ironklad Audio said:
has the guy who's bashing the onyx for the MOTU stuff ever used an onyx pre? ever A/B'd one against the onyx, or RNP(since that IS the topic of this thread)? probably not.

Sorry my friend I HAVE heard both and that was my opinon! ;) Never used and RNP. and by the way I was not bashing the Onyx pre

Back