M-Audio Fast Track USB II/Tascam US-122mkII or something else?

Houda

Well im looking to recording acoustic guitar(i and vocals. Ive been looking at:
M-Audio Fast Track USB II and Tascam US-122mkII. The fast track is nearly double the price of the tascam even thou the tascam has more inputs? is there something im missing here? Im guessing i can plug my guitar directly into both so unless the fast track is only charging so much because you get pro tools with it i dont understand why the price difference... unless tascam is crap quality? Sorry i feel very newbish right now lol.
But would i go with one of those two or would someone recommend something completly different? Im looking to spend about $150 max maybe $200 but that's really stretching it on an interface, keep in mind i really only need the one input for the mic and one for the guitar, i will most likely however mic the guitar sometime in the future if i see that directly plugging my guitar in doesnt turn out too well.
Any help is appreciated thanks :)
I run Windows if anyones wondering thou.

Edit: the fast track that links isnt the one im puchasing its slightly different, this is the one i was considering
http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/p...udio_Fast_Track_USB_II_with_Pro_Tools_SE.aspx

If anything, tascam review usually seems strong than maudio reviews, at that level.

I'm aware of some compatibility issues surrounding some tascams, but you do your research before you buy anything, right?

It's not unusual for digidesign to charge a stupid amount of money for standard hardware, because they've 'thrown in' Pro Tool.

I sold my 003 for an 828mk2 then rolled about in the change for a few weeks. :)

Ah ok that makes sense, yes i do research before i buy anything. I'm currently in year 12 so i don't even plan on purchasing my equipment until after November which is when my final exams are so yeah 6 months before hand... maybe a bit excessive lol i guess i like to research.
Are there any other interfaces out there that I'm not aware of that anyone would like to recommend?
Also just another question Its going to sound really stupid because i don't actually know the name of the connection types but, with the maudi fast track you've got one input for the mic (the big circle with the 3 holes) and the plug for the guitar (like headphones but bigger). Now the maudio fast track pro also has two inputs but these ones are two black holes with a smaller hole in the middle, what kind of inputs are those? because it doesn't seem like it would be compatible with a mic input whatever the hell they are called, they look like you would plug in the guitar lead?
Sorry if that really didn't make any sense lol i tried.
M-AUDIO - Fast Track Pro - 4 x 4 Mobile USB Audio/MIDI Interface with Preamps

Ok, a few things there.

For guitar (instrument/di) inputs, you say it's like headphones but a bit bigger?
It should be the same as the larger headphone sockets you see; 1/4 inch.

Line level inputs, direct/instrument inputs, and headphone outputs are all usually 1/4 TRS jack sockets.
Plugging a guitar into a line input, or a line out into an instrument input isn't going to work well though, so be sure which is which.

The connector that you talk about with the hole in the middle is just a combination of XLR(mic), and TRS(jack).
More often that not it's a mic level input at the XLR three pin connector, and a line level input for jacks in the centre.

The reason they do this is two-fold. It saves space in the unit, and highlights the fact that they are not simultaneous inputs.
Its either mic or line per channel.

Some times a line input will have a toggle switch that changes it to instrument level; Again, just be certain what each interface has before you buy.

Here's a better pic of the interface you linked.
http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/media_hqpics/FastTrackPro_front.jpg

It has Two mic inputs, OR two line/inst inputs. See the toggle switches?

Of course you can mix and match, but the stock sum total is always two independant analog channels.

It also has two channel digital IO at the back, so if you wanted, you could add a behringer v-amp (for example) or a two channel digital preamp later on down the road.
That gives the interface a maximum of four inputs, which is what they advertise.

Ok so they are called 1/4 Sockets and XLR cool thanks, ah so those inputs are a combination of both ok. Thanks! that cleared up alot! ill most likely ask someone on here before i buy an interface to make sure its compatible with everything else once its all planned out.

I really cant decide what type of interface to get so im just compiling every interface i see into a word document so i can compare them all side to side.
If anyone got any good suggestions on an interface il be recording acoustic guitar and vocals, not sure on which mic i get right now was planning to get a good vocal mic and plug my acoustic in directly even if the quality isnt that great and when i can afford it get another mic to record the guitar. Unless someone of course knows of something that can do both.

Well, would the vocals and guitar be recorded simultaneously or at different times?

Most people who come here want to do the former, and most people here recommend the latter.
In my opinion, micing guitar and vocals 'live' requires a great sounding room and a take that sounds great straight off.
If a lot of tweaking and eqing is needed, it can become really messy due to bleed.

You could just pick up a cracker LDC and do them separately. From a rode NT1a to akg c414, there's a good range out there.

Another thing to consider is, are you likely to want a stereo recording of the guitar?

If so, you either need more than two channels, or you will have to record vox and guitar separately.

Sure, people pick mics according to the job, but if I had to go in blind, I'd bring two sm81s for guitar and an sm7b for vocals.

Something to think about.

Well mostly i would be doing them separately but id still like to experiment doing them together just to see what its like.
Arnt sm81's like 300 each? that's stretching it alot, i was hoping to spend about 600 on vocal mic, interface and possibly just one mic for the guitar for the time being, then get another one when i can afford it. Its hard choosing an interface thou because theres a whole bunch of them that just seem to do the same thing. Il make sure i definitely have two mic inputs thou.|
Just a quick question thou how would i know if an interface already has preamps what sort of thing would it state because the specs confuse the hell out of me

Yeah, they are dear. I was just saying! :p

If money's the issue, I'd go with one good all rounder mic and track separately.

Tascam us122 mk2 + c214 fits the ballpark.

The specs will say microphone gain or mic preamp gain; Something like that.
The giveaway is the XLR connector. That's generally reserved for mics.

If you see phantom power/+48v in the specs (which you'll probably want), then there is at least one mic pre.

Can i just ask whats the difference between the Tascam US-122 Mk2 and the Tascam US-144 Mk2. From what i could tell the 144 gives you volume control of your headphones where as the 122 doesn't, cant you control the volume of the headphones straight off the pc?

Looks like they've slapped spdif on the 144 and called it four channel.
That's just the first thing I spotted. There could be more.

Back