M-AUDIO FAST TRACK C400 successor?

Twirly

Hi

I was reading the article Best Budget Audio Interfaces for SM7B. I took the blind test and chose a product which seems to be discontinued - The M-AUDIO FAST TRACK C400. Is there a replacement for this? From all the recordings it sounded leaps and bounds better than the rest with no noise and added warmth. The Mackie Onyx Blackjack came second best.

Best Budget Audio Interfaces for SM7B | recording hacks

Hi

I was reading the article Best Budget Audio Interfaces for SM7B. I took the blind test and chose a product which seems to be discontinued - The M-AUDIO FAST TRACK C400. Is there a replacement for this? From all the recordings it sounded leaps and bounds better than the rest with no noise and added warmth. The Mackie Onyx Blackjack came second best.

Best Budget Audio Interfaces for SM7B | recording hacks

Although those tests appear to have been conducted very well I would be very cautious on fixing on any specific AI, especially since the recordings were "processed".

The C400 might well have had the gain and low noise needed for the 7b but that does not mean it has the best headroom and you will get other mics than the Shure?

It is notoriously difficult to make meaningful comparisons between AIs. Levels need to matched to small fractions of a dB and only one sample of each was tested AFAICT? It is perfectly possible that THAT sample of C400 had unusually low noise input transistors (I am betting it is a hybrid mic pre, a la Behringer and many others!).

Interesting that they liked the 8i6, I have one. Never noticed it being any better than my zed10 or KA6 but then I was not checking for low noise, will do but will have to use an SM57, don't have a (drool!) SM7b!

Caveat bloody Emptor matey.

Dave.

Back