Love to have some feedback

timt

I did a demo for my band and would like some fresh perspective. You can hear it at http://www.myspace.com/thesandyhookband

To save you some critique time, we recorded the original tracks too hot and have some consistent clipping and our lead guitar player had some intonation problems throughout.

Thanks

I don't think clipping and intonation were any big whoop.

I know the original version, so I can't help comparing.

The original had a lot more 'pop' and 'edge' in the attack of the instrumentals and vocal; that is, the unison figures were aggressively struck, and the sustain was cut shorter. What you end up with by not doing that is a lazier roll-along...which may be exactly what you want...but isn't as impressive and pleasing as the original hit version. The tightness and dynamics of your version are less. Maybe a couple gallons of coffee for the fellers before the session would have kicked it? :^)

Thing #2: the panning.

You have a big fat ball of midrange instruments droning in the middle field ...which hurts the impact of the vocal. It's stereo, but the sum of the panning gives it a mono stain. I'd suggest moving droners to the flanks, leaving the middle for vox, feature guits, bass, and snare and bass drum.

The vocal could use some tweaking to even out some of the words, tails and decays... volume enveloping....

There's something about the finished product that makes it sound overall over-compressed. That might be MySpace's thing....or you compressed it to death to make it sound 'radio'. Realism and presence is lacking. Could be the big ball of mids in the middle, too.

The high point is the sound and pan of the background vox. They're coming through real nice. A nice tight vocal unit...just like it says in the blurb. And the guys play good....just need to whip up a little more attention to dynamic and figure detail to add some tooth to the grind. And the music's appeal would improve, I think, if the parts were thinned a bit. Mass droning sounds good, but in smaller doses...need a little space.

Do you record your own stuff?

feedback

Hey thanks for the critique. I've spent a good bit of time in the studio, but always as a player (mostly bass and drums, although in this band I play keys, banjo and some acoustic). This is my first attempt at working behind the board as engineer/producer.

If I remember correctly I don't think I panned ANYTHING ANYWHERE on this four song demo. Guess that's my first lesson, eh?

I'll go back and listen with some more ideas so next time I can clean it up a little.

Thanks again.

A live take through a mixer with everything at once? Onto a stereo track, or separate tracks via firewire or something? Were you in an isolated control room when you mixed the live sound? If everything was panned zero on the board, how'd you get stereo effect? Post production expansion or something?

Curious.

Did you A/B with the original record? How do you find it stacks up?

We recorded 8 tracks at a time via motu interface into Ableton Live. We played on my church stage. The drums were in a cage, the lead guitar was a mic'd amp, and everything else was direct in. We recorded vocals later in an office, then mixed later in another office.

Lots of holes in the process, but I learned a lot, and it really piqued my interest in recording and producing.

Back