Lost again with Shure SM7B to PC

DenverGuy

I have the Shure mic. I bought a floor stand, a Cloud Lifter, the XLR cables, and an SE Reflexion filter Pro. One thing after another - I'm always missing something. Like now.
I would like to connect the Cloud Lifter to the PC. Do I need a special cable, or still more equipment and a cable? Thanks.

You bought a pile of things with incomplete research. The filter is what worries me. I’ve got one. Never gets used.big question. Did you buy it because your room sounds terrible, and it was a solution to a real problem? Or did you just buy it? The usual process goes like this. Lust after a bit of gear. Buy it. Listen to it. Hate it. Fix it, like it. So often fixing it is very difficult. In the office, when editing videos, I might suddenly need a bit of VO. “Section 36, page 7” I’ve tried so many different mics, and my studio preference for a mic distance of 500mm/18” just sounds awful in the office. A 57 with a windshield or SM58 two fingers away works great, and I slap on a simple EQ in premiere that simply makes it sound similar to the SM7B in the studio. Basically gently rolling off the bass below 100Hz. I bought the filter thinking it would do the job of taming the huge windows and concrete walls. It didn’t!

Hi DenverGuy, this...
fixed link
will tell you all you need to know about the SE filter (others beware cheap imitations!)

As Jay has said, you need an Audio Interface to convert the analogue mic signal to digital for the computer. The most common type by far connect via USB. Rather annoyingly HAD you asked here first you might have saved yourself the cost of the Cloud lifter! Interfaces such as the MOTU M2 or M4, SSL 2 and by Audiofuse all have very low noise mic pre amps with probably enough gain to handle the SM7b.

So, look at interfaces BIG JOB! and come back and ask again. I suggest a bottom limit of $250. At that cost point and above there really are no bad ones.
Don't know why that link hasn't changed colour but you can copy and paste it. BT are arsing my email about at the moment...might be that?

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you need an audio interface. I had a look on the Denver Craigslist and there are a few decent options. There's a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which is a pretty popular unit (I have a 6i6, which I like). That's $100, but if you're really on a budget, there's a Lexicon Lambda for $40. It's an older model but there seems to be a driver for Win10.

If you need some local, in-person help, I'm just a few minutes up I-25.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.
Yes, you need an audio interface. I had a look on the Denver Craigslist and there are a few decent options. There's a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which is a pretty popular unit (I have a 6i6, which I like). That's $100, but if you're really on a budget, there's a Lexicon Lambda for $40. It's an older model but there seems to be a driver for Win10.

If you need some local, in-person help, I'm just a few minutes up I-25.

Back