Looking for Beginning Studio Recording Headphones that are Comfortable and Durable???

ArcticWolf

So my recent pair of headphones just broke on me and I am the need to look for another pair. I am still pretty new to home recording and need a pair of headphones that I can wear for a long period of time while recording guitar, I will be using it just to listen to myself play as well, since I like to play late at night. I will also be using them as everyday headphone to listen to music.

I'm looking for closed back headphones as well, so that there isn't as much noise that bleeds through when recording with my microphones. I've looked at a few headphones so far but I was wondering if anyone else had a pair of headphones that they would recommend that they feel are durable and comfortable?

I'm looking at headphones in the $100 range and have looked at the Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones and the Shure SRH440 Professional Studio Headphones so far.

Any other suggestions would be awesome, and if any one wants to comment about the 2 headphones that I've looked at then go ahead, because I'm not sure which one to go with or go with a different one entirely.

Last edited:
HD280's are pretty flat which is a good thing. No hyped bass. But they have that stupid coiled cord. What idiot thought of that one?? But now, the little brother, the HD202, works very good for tracking and it costs about $30 and no coiled cord. :)

Actually, I like the coiled cord for my setup. It keeps it from getting caught under my chair. I have killed leads that way a few times...

Thanks Jimmy and Chili for your replies. How comfortable are the Sony MDR's? I'll probably be spending 3-6 hours a day with my headphones on, so durability and comfort are a must for me.

Also forgot to mention that I'll be using it with my Stienburg UR22's even for every day listening. SO the headphone outputs on the UR22's have in output impedance of 6mW @ 40 Ohm, but most of the headphones I've looked at similar impedance so I don't believe that my interface will cause much of an issue.

Back