Looking for a new microphone

graciehays217

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into buying a new microphone. All I have now is the blue snowball that plugs in via usb, and I want to upgrade my setup. I'm looking for a mic that will do well with vocals as well as acoustic instruments such as ukulele, violins, mandolins. I'm thinking about a cardoid condenser mic… one that will plug into a line 6 POD audio interface, which I have now. Any suggestions?

Thanks. :)
-Gracie-

Ribbon mics would be my go to for acoustics such as violins, mandolins, or anything with a lot of highs. If you are looking for more versatility, you could go with a nice tube mic to retain some of that warmth you'd get with a ribbon mic. A tube mic might also suit vocals a little better depending on your voice. What's your price range?

I use either an mk219 or an sm81 for acoustic instruments.
Since you want to cover vocals too, I'd recommend the 219.

For a little cheaper, you could get an MXL 9000 (tube) and upgrade the cheap chinese tube it comes with. MK219 is also a great suggestion. I think I recall hearing Steenamaroo's acoustic tracks from a while ago (very smooth) :listeningmusic:

With $350. I would try and get three or four used microphones that will be good for different duties. :thumbs up:

Back