Looking for a device to send two MIDI channels

BillMitchell

Hi, all. I'm looking for a device (a convertor of some kind?) that would receive MIDI date from my keyboard -- which only sends data on MIDI channel 1 -- and then enable me to then send the same data via MIDI channels 1 and 2 simultaneously to another keyboard I'm using as a sound module. Is there such a thing? Thanks...

I want to be able to control one keyboard with another and still be able to layer two voices on the keyboard I'm essentially using as a sound module. To do that, I need to transmit MIDI 1 & 2 simultaneously. It may be impossible, but I thought I'd ask.

You should be able to do that with a DAW if you don't mind using a computer or laptop as a go-between. In fact, you can layer more than two voices on the receiving keyboard, or create multiple splits, transpose to create harmonies, etc. For instance:

Keyboard 1 --> Channel 1 --> DAW Track 1 --> Notes 0 - 42 --> Transpose +12 Semitones --> Keyboard 2 --> Channel 1
Keyboard 1 --> Channel 1 --> DAW Track 2 --> Notes 0 - 42 --> Transpose +12 Semitones --> Keyboard 2 --> Channel 2 (for a layered sound in the left-hand split area)

Keyboard 1 --> Channel 1 --> DAW Track 3 --> Notes 43 - 85 --> Transpose +0 Semitones --> Keyboard 2 --> Channel 3
Keyboard 1 --> Channel 1 --> DAW Track 4 --> Notes 43 - 85 --> Transpose +0 Semitones --> Keyboard 2 --> Channel 4 (for a layered sound in the middle split area)
Keyboard 1 --> Channel 1 --> DAW Track 5 --> Notes 43 - 85 --> Transpose +7 Semitones --> Keyboard 2 --> Channel 4 (to give the second layer a "perfect fifth" harmony)

Keyboard 1 --> Channel 1 --> DAW Track 6 --> Notes 86 - 127 --> Transpose -12 Semitones --> Keyboard 2 --> Channel 5 (for an extra voice in the right-hand split area)

You could actually do all of that using just one track in Mixcraft, but using a different track for each outgoing channel would let you temporarily disable that channel in the DAW if you wished. Also, you'll want the DAW to send the Bank Select, Program Change, and other sound-controller messages (e.g., Reverb Depth, Chorus Depth, Attack Time, Release Time, LPF Cutoff Frequency, LPF Resonance Level, etc.) for each outgoing channel.

PS -- If you want something that doesn't involve a computer or laptop as a go-between, I believe the term you'll want to search for may be "MIDI router."

Not sure of your keyboard, but you shouldn't need a DAW. This is a straight MIDI issue and what it was designed for.

If I understand your question, there is not goo reason to change channels. Use your MIDI out to your slave keyboard and set it to receive channel 1, the MIDI out from your slave keyboard can go to DAW interface or wherever. If you want the slave to only trigger say, on the lower part of the keyboard, then your main keyboard would have to support keyboard and channel splitting (if it splits, it probably allows you to set the channel for each split.

If you want to record MIDI in your DAW and then have different tracks drive different keyboards, then you would set the channels on each track and match that to the channel of your keyboard. This would be to drive the sound module on your keyboard and record the analog back in. This is only a problem when you want to change sounds automatically. Program changes seem to be a bitch and you have to research each keyboard sound mapping to know what "command (program number)" to send the keyboard ot get the sound you want.

Also note, any effects on the keyboard are usually proprietary and can't be driven by MIDI signals. I say usually.

Back