Logic, DP, or Ableton for a Mac?

endserenading81

Ok, I just thought to throw this question out there. I am buying a MacBook Pro soon. This is my first time buying a Mac computer, and I am excited. I was wondering: My style of music is a mix of things. Working with audio all the time, but as a solo musician, also work a lot with MIDI and plug-ins. I want really good plug-ins included with the software. I love clean simple interfaces. I want a solid program to run all these things at once.
Which program will be the best middle road for all these things? Which software do you like guys? Logic, DP, Ableton, or another?
Thanks,
Rob

Out of that group Logic is going to be tough to beat on a new Mac. Ableton is cool for some live performance things that nothing else will do as well. But as an audio workstation Locig is very solid and comes with a TON of instruments and plugins to get your midi work rolling out of the box.

I have Logic Studio Pro 8 and love it. I've used DP and Ableton - Logic simply put is the best. I also recommend Logic Express 8 - almost everything the Pro version has minus a few DVD's of loops and a few rarely used things most home recording people wouldn't ever use.

it depends what you need, tons of extras with the logic studio

or logic express. go to the apple website to see what the differences are. I think express is a good enough, although some day i might be interested in doing soundtracks... and mainstage could be pretty cool too.

logic express has no difference in like track count, or editing abilities for example. However it has less plugins (efx and instruments). as well as not having 49 gb of jam packs, or main stage/soundtrack pro 2/waveburner.

i still think it would be more than sufficient for me... and you can always upgrade later. I plan on buying it after i get my mac.

I prefer DP myself. It's a great program with a nice workflow and clean user interface. It's also very solid and bug free in my experience.

I would say that you can't go wrong with either Logic or DP, frankly. They both do what they are designed to do....

i hear dp 6 is now out. Does dp come with software instruments... and what formats can it use ? Au? vst? dx? etc...

to me it seem that dp is a lot more designed for post production, (like film scoring)

DP has *great* features for film scoring, but it is just as well suited to other types of work as well. I've used it for composing, live shows, and audio recording in addition to film scoring.

It natively supports AU and you can use VST in DP with a wrapper.

The MOTU web site says they are taking upgrade pre-orders now. So I don't think it is actually out yet.

Back