listened to samples, vocal presence requires 2+ mics?

ssman

I've been frustrated with a very entry level recording setup (mxlv67g > tubepre > emu 1212m), the recordings don't have any presence, my friend makes better recordings using his MD player and its mic.

I've come back to this site after a few months. Just came across thelisteningsessions.com site mentioned, and it in turn had a link to a german site with a whole lot more samples.

All the vocal recordings sound really thin, one-dimensional, and harsh. These guys obviously know what they're doing, so I'm compelled to know... to get it to sound more lifelike, less sterile, does everyone add effects or do you need multiple mikes (just saw the post of the guy using like 5 mics to record his solo guitar)?

Also, why does good equipment sound like this on vocals, versus my friends md player captures stuff with more presence?

Make sure your recording environment sounds good acoustically. no echoes, no flutters etc. second, vocal compression is very important as it balances the levels of the audio equally. check out the "processing vocals" section at www.tweakheadz.com.

your whole setup sounds like it's made to have darker sounding vocals. keep in mind that mics, pres and a/d converters all have a particular frequency response. you might try doing compression and a bit of eq in the 10k range to see if it brighten things up a bit.

as far as multiple mics for a single vocal, i don't see the point. your friend's minidisc probably sounds more lifelike becuase he is using a stereo mic, which sounds real to your ears, but keep in mind that recording probably doesn't have a full band behind it to compete with the vocals.

Back