Liquor aficionados - anyone familiar with Louis XIII cognac?

brassplyer

If so do you find it to really be significantly and obviously different/better than more pedestrian liquor store cognacs like Courvoisier, Hennessy, etc.?

Never tried it, but I bet it's fucking fantastic.
That said, I'm not a connoisseur of cognac at all, and have nothing in the stash at this time.
Love to try it though...

I tried it once. Glad it was a complimentary shot from a bartender I knew, because it’s expensive! 100 bucks a shot.

I have to admit, it was good. Very good. Much smoother than the other offerings.

Would I pay 100 a shot for the pleasure? Nope. I don’t travel in those financial circles.

The flasks, or bottles, (whatever you want to call them) it comes in, are expensive all on their own. I believe they’re Baccarat crystal, and each one is different.

At this bar people would bid on them to purchase once empty. Potential buyers would write their contact info and a price they were willing to pay and the bartender placed the slip of paper underneath the bottle.
I saw one go for 600 bucks.

And this was back in the nineties. I have no knowledge of the pricing nowadays.

But did I mention it was really good??

I didn’t shoot mine, I just sipped it to savor this expensive beverage as long as I could.

:-)

I tried it once. Glad it was a complimentary shot from a bartender I knew, because it’s expensive! 100 bucks a shot.

I have to admit, it was good. Very good. Much smoother than the other offerings.

Would I pay 100 a shot for the pleasure? Nope. I don’t travel in those financial circles.

The flasks, or bottles, (whatever you want to call them) it comes in, are expensive all on their own. I believe they’re Baccarat crystal, and each one is different.

At this bar people would bid on them to purchase once empty. Potential buyers would write their contact info and a price they were willing to pay and the bartender placed the slip of paper underneath the bottle.
I saw one go for 600 bucks.

And this was back in the nineties. I have no knowledge of the pricing nowadays.

But did I mention it was really good??

I didn’t shoot mine, I just sipped it to savor this expensive beverage as long as I could.

:-)
Here's the listing at Total Wine & More for the 750ml bottle - 4 grand. The 50ml is $700.

This is actually a fun thread . :-)

I’ll share a bit more. This bar I was talking about was a posh seafood restaurant right by the beach. Rich people, attorneys, Hollywood executives and A list actors would go there. Way out of my league.

The only reason I could go there was because I had a girlfriend who I’d take to work.

I’d drop her off and go hang at the bar for a bit. I got to know everyone there, and they me. It was cool being accepted in a place way out of my league. Even celebrities thought I must have been someone. :LoL:

So one day this guy comes in, a young rich dude probably spending his parent’s money. The kind of rich kid that gets a Ferrari for his 16th Birthday.

He come in sporting a hooker on his arm, and not a high dollar call girl, but just a street hooker. They sit a few spots down from me at the bar. He’s doing Patron shots and she orders a glass of red house wine. He says “come on baby, order anything you like”. She’s eyeballing the fancy bottle of King Louis on the top shelf. Says “I’d still like the wine, but also a shot of whatever’s in that pretty bottle up there” as she points to the King Louis.

Me, the bartender and probably her date thought she’d drink it and then sip on her wine.

Nope, she takes the shot and pours it into her wine. Her date says “that’s a hundred dollars a shot, you don’t drink it like that”!

Me and the bartender just start cracking up laughing out loud. He wa sure he’d get fired but couldn't help laughing.

The next time I came in he was still there, unscathed and we talked about how funny that was.

He then drops another bomb on me. I noticed the previous bottle was gone and a brand new bottle was there.

I asked about it. He tells me “man you should have been here the other day, some guy came in and bought everyone in the bar a shot”

Yeah, I kind of missed out on that.

Anyway, some fun times.

The end :-)

Never tried it. Wow, pretty expensive stuff. I don't know, kind of spit balling....maybe you could go boiler maker, drop a shot glass of the stuff in a tall glass of Pabst Blue Ribbon to, you know, kind of stretch your money.

Hold your fire!

:D

I’ll share a bit more. This bar I was talking about was a posh seafood restaurant right by the beach. Rich people, attorneys, Hollywood executives and A list actors would go there. Way out of my league.

The only reason I could go there was because I had a girlfriend who I’d take to work.

I’d drop her off and go hang at the bar for a bit. I got to know everyone there, and they me. It was cool being accepted in a place way out of my league. Even celebrities thought I must have been someone. :LoL:

So one day this guy comes in, a young rich dude probably spending his parent’s money. The kind of rich kid that gets a Ferrari for his 16th Birthday.

He come in sporting a hooker on his arm, and not a high dollar call girl, but just a street hooker. They sit a few spots down from me at the bar. He’s doing Patron shots and she orders a glass of red house wine. He says “come on baby, order anything you like”. She’s eyeballing the fancy bottle of King Louis on the top shelf. Says “I’d still like the wine, but also a shot of whatever’s in that pretty bottle up there” as she points to the King Louis.

Me, the bartender and probably her date thought she’d drink it and then sip on her wine.

Nope, she takes the shot and pours it into her wine. Her date says “that’s a hundred dollars a shot, you don’t drink it like that”!

Me and the bartender just start cracking up laughing out loud. He wa sure he’d get fired but couldn't help laughing.

The next time I came in he was still there, unscathed and we talked about how funny that was.

He then drops another bomb on me. I noticed the previous bottle was gone and a brand new bottle was there.

I asked about it. He tells me “man you should have been here the other day, some guy came in and bought everyone in the bar a shot”

Yeah, I kind of missed out on that.

Anyway, some fun times.

The end :-)

Ha! Cool story. Was kind of doodling my post and didn't see yours until after posting.

If the stories I've heard are true a lot of A-list actors waited tables, drove cabs, etc. I've heard Jay Leno talk about getting picked up for vagrancy more than once - i.e. he was homeless before he got his foot in the door as a standup comic. They might not see themselves as being out of anyone's league.

If the stories I've heard are true a lot of A-list actors waited tables, drove cabs, etc. I've heard Jay Leno talk about getting picked up for vagrancy more than once - i.e. he was homeless before he got his foot in the door as a standup comic. They might not see themselves as being out of anyone's league.

Back in the day, I dated lots of actresses. And they all waited tables.
If you were involved in the music scene it was either actresses (waitress) or strippers. :-)

The girl I was dating in the previous post was an actress and lots of handholding was involved. There was always the insecurity and fear that they’d never make it and end up being an old waitress, or leaving Hollywood in shame and going back home having not made it.

I learned something from this. About 90 percent of actors would give up and go home. Out of the remaining 10% they’d all be working in the profession in some gainful capacity even if they didn’t go on to be stars.

This led to the conclusion that persistence over talent paid off.

The common complaint was there was ‘too much competition’. While a truism, if you held out and didn’t give up, 90%of your competition would give up, and you’d now only be competing against the remaining 10%.

I’d give this nugget of advice to all of them.

Well, there was this girl who was working on making it, while being a waitress at a hamburger chain restaurant in Hollywood. I think she was from somewhere in the Midwest. I got to casually know her just from eating there a bunch.

One day she was pretty frustrated and bummed out...... burnt toast. She told me she was seriously considering quitting and moving back home. I told her the story about the percentages and not to give up.

She said she had an audition coming up and considered holding out a bit more, but if nothing happened soon she was done.

At this point before delivering the punchline I’ll give out a hint. She was a cute redhead.

So, I didn’t make it to the restaurant for a couple of week. When I next showed up she was gone. I was a little bummed, thinking she headed home. I asked one of the other girls what had happened. She said she got a gig. Good for her. :-)

Much later down the road, and I’m watchingTV at home. There’s a new show, kind of a Sci Fi, mystery, UFO, etc. show called the X Files. Holy Shit! She was on TV!

Yup, that’s the gig she got. :-)

Hey, maybe she owes me a shot of King Louis ;)

At this point before delivering the punchline I’ll give out a hint. She was a cute redhead.

So, I didn’t make it to the restaurant for a couple of week. When I next showed up she was gone. I was a little bummed, thinking she headed home. I asked one of the other girls what had happened. She said she got a gig. Good for her. :-)

Much later down the road, and I’m watchingTV at home. There’s a new show, kind of a Sci Fi, mystery, UFO, etc. show called the X Files. Holy Shit! She was on TV!

I've never watched the X-Files but I know it was a huge hit. So your waitress buddy was Gillian Anderson? Interesting.

I guess the level of desperation in the Hollywood orbit is what someone like Harvey Weinstein was exploiting.

My "brush with fame" was kind of the opposite. I went on a date with a girl who I met when her brother who was a military musician visited our barracks in California to say hi to a friend and had his sister in tow. Turned out she'd had a recurring role on a popular show when she was younger and had done a boatload of commercials and print ads before that but I didn't know any of that I just thought she was cute and vivacious. I'd heard of the show but it wasn't my cup of tea - it was in syndicated reruns so I watched a couple of episodes just so I could say I'd seen her in it but I still didn't find that it resonated with me. She looked very different when I met her, I would have never recognized her as the actress on the show.

That one show turned out to be her entire acting career other than the commercials she'd done as a kid. She was still going for things when I met her but couldn't get arrested after that. She spent our entire date talking about that show and her acting biz acquaintances none of whom I'd heard of. I gather they were a bunch of young people like her who were trying to get in the door and not having much success. For her it seems the door opened just enough for her to get a taste then slammed shut.

To this day her online presence is largely about her going on about that show.

Last edited:
Reactions: RFR
I’ve had it. Maybe 25 years ago at a lodge in Vail, CO. After a night of fairly heavy drinking a co-worker and I were at the lodge bar. At the very, very top of the wall of liquors behind the bartender, with a literal spotlight on it, was a bottle of Louis. He says to me, you want a glass. I said sure. $125 a glass even back then. 😳 We polish it off, and he tells the bartender “do it again.” Yikes.

$500 for 4 glasses of whisky, and the place had the nerve to automatically tack on a 20% gratuity. So another $100 for bringing us those 4 glasses. 😡😡

The last thing we needed that night was more liquor. And the saddest part is I was so wasted to this day I can’t even tell you what it tasted like, lol.

On the bright side, he paid. 👍🏼

Back in the day, I dated lots of actresses. And they all waited tables.
If you were involved in the music scene it was either actresses (waitress) or strippers. :-)

The girl I was dating in the previous post was an actress and lots of handholding was involved. There was always the insecurity and fear that they’d never make it and end up being an old waitress, or leaving Hollywood in shame and going back home having not made it.

I learned something from this. About 90 percent of actors would give up and go home. Out of the remaining 10% they’d all be working in the profession in some gainful capacity even if they didn’t go on to be stars.

This led to the conclusion that persistence over talent paid off.

The common complaint was there was ‘too much competition’. While a truism, if you held out and didn’t give up, 90%of your competition would give up, and you’d now only be competing against the remaining 10%.

I’d give this nugget of advice to all of them.

Well, there was this girl who was working on making it, while being a waitress at a hamburger chain restaurant in Hollywood. I think she was from somewhere in the Midwest. I got to casually know her just from eating there a bunch.

One day she was pretty frustrated and bummed out...... burnt toast. She told me she was seriously considering quitting and moving back home. I told her the story about the percentages and not to give up.

She said she had an audition coming up and considered holding out a bit more, but if nothing happened soon she was done.

X Files

I've watched every episode thrice.

Thanks for sharing the story of how it came about that you met her before she landed the role of Scully on the X Files series. At first glance on episode 1 of the series she came across as too youthful and naive, far out of her element. That's how the producers presented her. Nonetheless, she grew into her role far better than David Duchovny managed to do in his role.

Here's a link to a movie featuring your waitress.

You should grab a bottle and we should all take a shot. I used to like this band called Louis XIV back in the day...

I've had more than a few Snifters of Louis XIII cognac - most of them bought by Clients - the usual tastes are there - Creamy Vanilla - Some Distant Oak - Hints of White fruit and Juniper - very smooth - is it worth it? - I’ve come to the conclusion that $200 is the ceiling for High End Congac - After that, it’s the law of diminishing returns - A $200 bottle is almost always 10 times better than a $20 bottle - but Louis XIII cognac isn't 20 times better than a $200 Bottle - it's slightly incremental - you’re more likely paying for a backstory and fancy packaging rather than the Cognac -

Back