Line 6 POD

mark tresch

From here on, start saving your pennies boys and girls. Everything you've heard about this little gem is true. I just got one last week and there are just not enough hours in a day to fully explore every possible sound and effects this one machine can produce. If you play electric guitar, GO GET ONE! You'll thank me for it.

There is a setting on the POD Amp Models control called Tube Preamp. Is this what you use to run bass through? Also, can you use this setting for a vocal mic preamp? I was going to buy an ART Tube MP mic preamp, which can be used for bass or guitar also, but if the POD tube preamp will do the same thing, I'll go with the POD. Or, if you know how the Tube Preamp setting on the POD compares with the ART Tube MP that would be helpful, too. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Jim, Jim...

Just because two boxes are preamps and have tube sounds doesn't mean they're interchangable.

The POD is made to provide controlled distortion in a way that makes sound passing through it sound like it's been through different guitar amplifiers. The ART is made to provide clean, warm sound from a microphone. I doubt you'd want to use a mic with tremolo, chorus, or flanger, let alone make it sound like you were singing through a guitar amp!

Just a comment to Dragon on this one. John Lennon was well known for the many attempts and devices he used in order to find the "right sound" for the song. I've read that while with the Beatles he tried to talk George Martin into tying him to a rope from the ceiling and spinning him around a mic to get a Leslied effect. Though I agree that a tube mic preamp is what one wants to use to get tube warmth from a mic, every engineer needs to know that tring different effects on vocals and instruments can make (or break) a song. Of course, if you know about the Beatles, their music forced engineers and technicians to invent flangers and tape delay and many other things we take for granted today. You would also know that Beatle engineers went crazy with Lennon and John never did get just the "right sound." Thank goodness we (the listening public) got to hear teh results anyway.

Peace, Jim

OK, Jim, you're certainly right. And I have been (from very early in the history of this BBS) right there in front encouraging people to experiment to get great sound. It's just that...

1. I didn't want jim (lower case) to think he could save money that way and get an exact equivalent with those two pieces of equipment

2. I wish you hadn't brought up John Lennon's kinky stuff in a public forum like that :)

Back