Let's play the guessing game... (short sample)

Ok I've been screwing around a bit this evening...trying to get a better tone than what usually comes out of my Peavy rig.

I scored an interesting combination. I'd like some opinions on the guitar tone. I know that the bass is crappy and interfering a bit and the drums are awful canned. But I'm not concerned with the mix or playing, just the guitar tone. I tried to play most of the neck to get a good picture of how it sounds overall.

You guess what amp(s) I'm using and I'll publically kiss your ass.

This is a pretty quick snippet, 1.4MB.

Slackmaster 2000

Okay Slack,It sounds like a fender to me, maybe a twin or blues jr. but Im gonna go with a peavey classic 50 tweed 410's miced with a 57 thru that tube mp you just purchased, I know I'm way off but i've just had only one cup of java this morning, I'll try again when I get a few beers down me! (maybe a doobie or two).

Slak: such a public display would offer me no satisfaction, so I'll pass on the tone speculation. I'd have to disagree with you about the bass and canned drums. <Their> tone
was the major force in that snippet. But the guitar tone did sound nice decorating that very slow blues.

Slack,

I thought your guitar tone was pretty sweet. I'm gonna take a guess at the amp being a Peavey Bandit Combo.

Man, it seems that I'm still cursed with a Peavy tone, even though I didn't use my Peavy amp. Can a bad amp somehow embed its sound into your guitar? :)

Anyway, the reason I asked this without saying what I did is because people have a tendency to say "oh, well that's exactly what I thought it sounded like. you should really do this or that to get the right sound" :) I kind of want an idea as to whether I'm fooling myself with it or not because it sounds ok to my ear...and I want to use it for this song.

So, the big hint is: no, it's not a Peavy amp.

Any more takers?

Slackmaster 2000

Wow! sounds real good. I like the tone alot. It's so clear and pristine. However I have no idea what amp this is coming from, alas, I am not versed in the sounds of different amps.

I have no clue, though the entire snippet sounded pretty damn good... sweet tone - sort of sounds a little like a Roland Jazz that I used to play through.

I didn't listen to the clip but I'm gonna guess no amp at all but direct with software FX added later...

Hey Slack, sorry about my first post, I knew you played a peavy from reading something you posted a while back, thought maybe you found a sweet spot or something, but after listening a few more times its gotta be a fender, if not..you got a very nice tone going on there regardless of what ever your playing thru...

I did listen to it, and I do kinda hear that "direct" sound in there. I'm gonna guess it's the POD with one of the Black Panel or Tweed Blues settings, just to really make sure I get it wrong. :)

Whatever it is, it has a nice tone and would work well in a song similar to this clip.

Welp, Gibs, JonX & S8-N were all the closest, though nobody got it. I'm not using anything new at all.

I was just fooling around running the ART Tube MP through my Sansamp BASS Driver DI Box. Then the reverb was applied in software. It's amazing how nice and crisp that Sansamp is for clean guitar tones. I too thought it sounded "fender" like. I've tried this before but without the ART and it sounded ok; but with the ART it sounds really cool. The only problem is that I have no way to add overdrive into the chain. The Sansamp does overdrive, but it's geared for bass and not real tight. Overdriving the ART is awful and I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm glad that it sounds so close to an actual amp. This experiment has given me new reason to check into the POD again for DI. It sure is nice to be able to play without worrying about neighbors...or a crappy Peavy amp.

Slackmaster 2000

Back