Les Paul-owned LP up on Reverb

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Over my head, but I do really like the finish and fretboard.

Damn, it's beautiful. Schwing! Can't afford this one - but a LP Custom is on my bucket list.

At that price ($13,500) - it's unclear to me if it might be a good investment given it's connection to the original owner. Seems like this could appreciate nicely over time. Opinions on that anyone?

Damn, it's beautiful. Schwing! Can't afford this one - but a LP Custom is on my bucket list.

At that price ($13,500) - it's unclear to me if it might be a good investment given it's connection to the original owner. Seems like this could appreciate nicely over time. Opinions on that anyone?
Every single Les Paul I've owned has appreciated in value, some substantially. I've only owned 3, and have just 1 now. $13,500 seems a bit overpriced, even given its history. Maybe $8,000 would be reasonable. Even at $8,000 I think you'd be waiting a long time for it to appreciate much (20 years?). I'm no guitar collector / expert, just my opinion.

I use to have a 81 Les Paul Standard - Paid $800 for it in 1986. Now they are around 2K - 4K. Then I bought a 1991 Les Paul Custom, Wine Red. That was my favorite. Paid $900, sold it for $1100. Looks like they are 5K and up now. Currently have a 2000 Les Paul Standard. Paid $2000 for it, might be worth $2500 - $3000 CDN $. That's over a period of 15 years or so.

Every single Les Paul I've owned has appreciated in value, some substantially. I've only owned 3, and have just 1 now. $13,500 seems a bit overpriced, even given its history. Maybe $8,000 would be reasonable. Even at $8,000 I think you'd be waiting a long time for it to appreciate much (20 years?). I'm no guitar collector / expert, just my opinion.

I use to have a 81 Les Paul Standard - Paid $800 for it in 1986. Now they are around 2K - 4K. Then I bought a 1991 Les Paul Custom, Wine Red. That was my favorite. Paid $900, sold it for $1100. Looks like they are 5K and up now. Currently have a 2000 Les Paul Standard. Paid $2000 for it, might be worth $2500 - $3000 CDN $. That's over a period of 15 years or so.
I've got two Les Paul's. This one is my first guitar - a '79 wine red Deluxe. My dad bought it for me used in 1981 when I was 12. The original owner routered out the bridge pup and installed a Dimarzio Super Distortion - no doubt, this decreases it's market value. But that doesn't matter by now. It will be burned with my body if I can get that done. It is well loved. I still play it every day.

40 years.jpg
40 years - 2.jpg

Last edited:
I've got two Les Paul's. This one is my first guitar - a '79 wine red Deluxe. My dad bought it for me used in 1981 when I was 12. The original owner routered out the bridge pup and installed a Dimarzio Super Distortion - no doubt, this decreases it's market value. But that doesn't matter by now. It will be burned with my body if I can get that done. It is well loved. I still play it every day.

Wow, that's a nice one. I think my wine red had gold hardware, but I might be remembering incorrectly, this was like 30 years ago. This is my 2000 LP, nothing special but it does what LP's do for me. My dad bought my first Les Paul as well. I ended up selling it to my brother, and then it got stolen.

Attachments

• LP2000.jpg
    LP2000.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Wow, that's a nice one. I think my wine red had gold hardware, but I might be remembering incorrectly, this was like 30 years ago. This is my 2000 LP, nothing special but it does what LP's do for me. My dad bought my first Les Paul as well. I ended up selling it to my brother, and then it got stolen.
Nice! Love that sunburst (I think that's what that's called).

That sucks the other one was stolen. That one above was stolen from me - but, thankfully, recovered by police days later at some crackhead lair.

It has Schaller humbuckers, which were the standard pickups for most Heritage guitars back then. It has a Schaller roller bridge and tailpiece. I have a pair of SD Seth Lovers, but the route wasn't deep enough for the long legs of the Seth Lovers.

Heritage switched to Duncan 59s as the stock pickup when Schaller quit making pickups some years ago. The standard bridge and tailpiece are now Pinnacle locking units. Their Custom Core line is a really nice guitar. It's roughly equal to the Gibson custom shop.

This is a little off topic. Paul's kid(s) hated him. I worked with someone who knew at least one of Les' kids, and they had nothing good to say about their father. I think his work was his life.

This is a little off topic. Paul's kid(s) hated him. I worked with someone who knew at least one of Les' kids, and they had nothing good to say about their father. I think his work was his life.
Must have been just one kid if any. One of his sons ( Rusty) was there to record all of his shows, and was also a respected guitarist. Also ran the museum. Another was an audio engineer. His grand kids seem to love and respect him as well. I’ve never read anyone say anything negative about the guy. Even his ex wives thought he was a swell guy. At any rate, he deserves much better than than unfounded rumors regarding his personal life being spread on the internet. You don’t accomplish the things he did in his life without pissing at least a few people off here and there.

Back