Learning more about Reel to Reels

brianXXX

I read Jack Endino's Nirvana Faq last night ( http://www.endino.com/nirvfaq.html )
in which he states that Kurt's amp on Bleach was recorded - "Close-miked with an SM-58, recorded to Otari [ MX-5050 Mk III ] half-inch 8-track at 15 ips with no noise reduction." Is this a high fidelity recording? I'm just getting to know reel to reels and I'm trying to find what album were recorded with what. Are there any resources online where I can learn the recording chain associated with various artists and their albums? Or are there any sites dedicated to Reel to Reel machines where I can explore the various types and models and learn about various tape thicknesses etc?

Last edited:
brianXXX said:
... Is this a high fidelity recording? ...

That's definitely "hi fidelity," if those words mean what I always thought they mean.

It is not typically the way a major-label release is recorded. At the time Bleach was recorded, that would most likely have been to 2" 24-track tape deck.

But a home recordist doesn't (and shouldn't) record the way a studio which is constantly booked recording major-label releases does. You don't have a a few hundred thousand dollars worth of mic and outboard electronics either ... or a big room, or a selection of boutique and vintage guitar amps, or multiple sets of drums, or interns ....

Yes it is real Hi-Fidelity.

Most eight and 16 track 1/2" machines will blow away any type of consumer mom-n-pop recorder.

That is, if they made them anymore.

I keep readin' all these ebay ads for Tascam 388s that claim a 388 was used for Bleach, which obviously is not the case. How did such a rumor get started?

ar >>|

Yeah, how did such a rumor get started?

That's actually one of the more publicized bits of equipment lore. The actual machine is sitting in a case at the EMP, if you want to see it.

(Last time I saw it, it had a reel of 1/4" tape mounted on it - inept curator? - but don't let that confuse you.)

Well, either somebody just made it up, or it's a mixup with another big artist, or Nirvana has recorded a demo on a 388 or something. :)

Now, it's not a bad machine, and with care and skill it might actually be able to record a pro-level album on it.

Back