Latest gear issue - mixer

mjbphotos

I've had my Mackie PRO FX-12 mixer for 8 years now, gets used at least a couple of dozen times a year. Never had any issues with it, but I do know someone who had a newer model Mackie and had issues with a bad channel and non-working reverb.

So a few weeks ago, at the open mic I host, the 2nd-to-last performer shouted into his mic and there was some awful distortion from the right side speaker. I just turned it down via the volume control on the speaker.
Later, I tested everything, thinking it might have been a bad cable (I had joined 2 XLRs that night), but no, it turns out it is the right-side output on the mixer itself. I've been daisy-chaining the 2 PA speakers since then, but it has made me nervous that whatever happened to that one output could eventually happen to the left side too. In an emergency, I could hook up to the monitor output (I haven't tried it to ensure it doesn't have the bad sound from the right side output, but guess I should!)
Guessing it is some component in the output stage of the mixer?

So a few weeks ago, at the open mic I host, the 2nd-to-last performer shouted into his mic and there was some awful distortion from the right side speaker. I just turned it down via the volume control on the speaker.
Later, I tested everything, thinking it might have been a bad cable (I had joined 2 XLRs that night), but no, it turns out it is the right-side output on the mixer itself.
It seems odd that shouting into a microphone input would damage your Mixer - distorting from the vocal would be temporary - if there was damage it is likely from the channel.
Anyway it is a simple fix either way. - can you work on electronics?

It seems odd that shouting into a microphone input would damage your Mixer - distorting from the vocal would be temporary - if there was damage it is likely from the channel.
Anyway it is a simple fix either way. - can you work on electronics?
No, the shouting didn't cause it, it just made it noticeable - the volume output had been low from that speaker all night. I checked the other channels, no difference.

Try the old "buttons in - buttons out" if you haven't already. That is, rapidly pushing any buttons connected with that channel in and out. I've had problems with my Soundcraft GB2R every once in a while, with a channel going out, or very low, and that's worked.

De oxit speaker outs, gain knobs and sliders and hope for the best. I have a 1604 I bought new ~ 2000 and some of the gain pots started getting resistance and noise issues from sitting in one spot for so long since I use it in my home setup as a patcher and speaker/amp selector. Some stuff you may have to take the mixer apart to get to but I would start with a good knob and control "workout" and socket cleaning

The problem is 'deeper', as it happens with both the right side main out (XLR) and the right side top output (1/4") jack. All channels. There's no right side (only) controls, single main volume slider.

Back