Large Diaphragm Condenser for Voice Overs

After continuing to do research and reading various things including what was said here and listening to various samples, I think the direction I'm leaning in is to start off by getting an inexpensive large diaphragm condenser, something like the CAD GXL2200, because I've heard some good things said about that microphone in particular and heard some good samples of it and it seems like most microphones in that price range are about the same, and then save up for a Rode NT1A.

Before you drop on the CAD I would say you could do a lot better with the AKG Perception 120.... about $120 new.

Before you drop on the CAD I would say you could do a lot better with the AKG Perception 120.... about $120 new.

The Perception 120 looks interesting, but I don't think it quite fits what I'm looking for. It has a 2/3'' diaphragm instead of a 1'' diaphragm so it's not truly a large diaphragm condenser, and its an electret condenser instead of a regular condenser. It's SNR is 72 dB, making it the noisiest of the bunch, its basic EQ curve isn't too dissimilar from all the other mics in this price range, and it's also more expensive than the GXL2200 but doesn't come with a shockmount, meaning it would take longer to save up for the NT1A.

Back