L-20 vocal effects

AlanK

Does anyone use the FX options for vocals with their L-20? My basement jam space has a studio feel/sound to it so vocals can be a bit dry for us when we practice, so I wanted to enhance it for us during the session. I'm not finding anything that really does the job, even after adjusting all the FX knobs through multiple settings and amounts. Still a learning curve I suppose. I do most of my mixing/mastering on the L-20 itself and then move the card to my iMac if I want to spend more time on it (was using Ableton but it's so intensive, so have been giving GarageBand a try and it's not horrible, actually the latest updates make it decent enough for our basement band). Maybe when I retire I'll have more time to be a sound engineer. Anyhow just curious what you folks have found works for you. I know I can try out loads of great plug ins if I mix on my DAW but when we're playing in the basement I wanted to have a bit of an effect for our singers in the moment. I kind of like a small amount of ones like Church, some of the Hall and Vocal ones, but nothing really stands out as awesome.

I have the L-12, so same but smaller.
TBH I don't use it as a band mixer (yet), just a recording interface.
That said, I'm surprised that you're not getting something fairly decent from the onboard effects. From the looks of it you should be able to apply any effect to any individual channel.

I don't know about the L20, but with the R24, you can add a reverb to the track for monitoring, but still record the signal dry. That way you can give the singer a bit of echo to make him feel comfortable if he's monitoring the vocals via speakers or headphones, but when you get around to mixing in your DAW, you can add a different flavor or amount of reverb.

I found out years ago that the amount of reverb that sounds good over a PA speaker usually is way too much for a recording.

I don't know about the L20, but with the R24, you can add a reverb to the track for monitoring, but still record the signal dry. That way you can give the singer a bit of echo……..
You know I’ve tried this a bunch of times and just can’t make any sense of it in the manual. Could you walk me through it step by step maybe you can get me to understand how to do this.
Thanks. Guy

Unfortunately, I don't have an LiveTrak, just the R24. When you are using headphone mixes, are the effects limited to just that submix? I would think that would be the most logical place to start. I agree that the manual doesn't address the effects very well.

Unfortunately, I don't have an LiveTrak, just the R24. When you are using headphone mixes, are the effects limited to just that submix? I would think that would be the most logical place to start. I agree that the manual doesn't address the effects very well.
I guess I was a bit vague, yah I have the R24 also 😁

Hi everyone and thanks for all your responses! I agree that we just want to have it in our monitors IRL when we jam for a better sound experience and not necessarily in the main mix or recordings. I have indeed gone through both strips of effects as well as toyed with the two parameter knobs and there are a few that have been ok, I just haven't found that sweet spot yet. But I also haven't tried it out enough, we're just a basement band of old boys so we only get to practice or jam maybe 6 times a year, and since we split sessions between 3 of our places I only get to test this out maybe twice, when we're at my place (we just use the other guys' PA systems when at their homes, I don't transport my L-20). But I'm going to keep trying and if I find any settings that really seem good to me I'll share what I tried. I did like a few of them but I guess my Behringer analog mixer had more fx and options that just sounded better, to me and the guys at least. I did also buy the Zoom pedal and I've been toying with having it kick in a vocal effect that I could stomp on when we reach a chorus or some bridge where the vocals need a boost.. that's exciting and I hope to incorporate it more in our get togethers.

Back