kind inspiration

dmcsilva

This here funky nugget is something I've been working on this weekend. I've gotta tell ya, funk bass is some hard stuff to mix. Not to mention play. I'd like your comments on how it sounds. It started out muddy as all hell, but after mixing and re-mixing, I think I achieved some resemblance of clarity. All criticism is welcome.

see post on 12/27 below for new URL

Well I've gotta go put some H2O2 on the blisters I slapped into my fingers.

dmc

[This message has been edited by dmcsilva (edited 12-27-1999).]

I liked that ditty. You might spice it up AND give your bleeding fingers a break, by inserting one or more short breaks where all the instruments pause for a beat or three. Then have the drums do a snazzy lead-in back to the groove. Such accents really help to clean up the mud.

Sounded to me like the guitar had too much treble... the hissing hertz. The bass sounded consistant... Did you loop the main bassline?
I hear some weird low freq sound that sounds like back-masked bass. It also sounds like you recorded more than one bass line.
Ive been recording lots of slap bass too through my POD which is giving me a better sound than this bass preamp that I have. My shit turns out really clicky cause I use such big strings and tune down to ADGB. I'm trying to balance the lows, the click, and the upper-mids where the "POP" is, then mixing the track so low you cant hear it...

You got the funk.

Thanks for giving me your thoughts.

drstawl: I'm gonna work on adding in a bridge based on your suggestion, it would break up the monotony somewhat.

S8-N:

I remixed and reposted after reading your suggestion. I beefed up the guitar somewhat and re-eq'd it. That took care of a lot of the hiss, but I think some of the hiss is an mp3 encoding artifact.

The bass line is not looped, but I did have a little too much chorus on it, which made it sound like there was more than one bass track, and contributed to that low freq. sound you referred to. I backed off of the chorus and it sounds better.

On the bass track I played with the compression for a long time, ultimately settling on 0 release time to eliminate loud string clicks (the piece of shit bass I used has action 1/4" off of the strings). I went direct into my Mackie board with a Boss eq pedal in the aux loop.

Slap is fun(ky). I've played guitar for awhile, but really just picked up bass this year. I don't know if it's because I'm so far down on the bass learning curve or what, but I've found myself spending much more time on it than my guitars lately.

dmc

A couple of years ago I was in a band in Atlanta and was growing tired of it... I was considering giving up guitar for bass since I had been playing for 10+ years and was pretty much done with it. Atlanta had a severe bassist shortage and guitarists were everywhere... I knew I had to do lead vocals... but guitar was becoming a chore and I was spending more and more time playing bass because it was... well... fun. I started writing all of my music on bass and adding guitar later. Finally I decided that I would never be satisfied with another guitarist and bass gear was hella expensive... so I stuck with guitar and bass now I play both and I still cant get a band together... But it is handy on the Homerec. front...
I had a point somewhere, but I'm drunk and I don't remember what it was...

Via Con Dildos,
S8-N

dammit dmc, can't get bass line out of head...slowly going mad...visions of cartoon purple and green basses dancing around cage full of trapped electric guitars...the voices...the tragic funky voices.....make 'em stop....way too cool.....gibs

Funky ass shit dmc,love to hear that funk bass, played with a bass player that played with a pick one time,,(BOREING!)funk on brother........

Thanx for the comments gibs and David, That bassline is one I made up to practice my slapping and popping, and lo and behold it fit that guitar riff you hear that I came up with about 10 years ago. I'm digging the bass thoroughly; and to think, from a typical guitarist's perspective, I used to think it was a boring/easy instrument to play.

dmc

Yeah, I deleted it to make room for another. I'll upload it to juston tonight, if juston is working that is, and I'll re-post the URL.

dmc

Back