JV MODIFIED '50s STRATOCASTER HSS

spantini

COO of me, inc.
What do you think? This one looks pretty nice to me. I can't think about getting one anytime soon, but I can tag it onto my wish list.

I like the humbucking bridge PU with a push-pull Tone pot that switches it to single-coil. I have no idea what a '50s era Strat sounded like, other than from old records, movies and TV. I wasn't into guitars very much in the '80s, basses mostly.

Nice. $1300+ yikes.. However, you have nice taste.

Rarely do I buy instruments, 'they' put something in the water. Cause ...man...damn.

Just listen to any Buddy Holly record and you'll know what an old Strat sounds like. It sounds like ..... a Strat!

I have one of the Vintage 54 Strats that Fender put out in 2014. The pickups are supposed to be a recreation of the original pickups. It has the 7.25" radius neck, 6 point trem, etc like the originals, and the truss rod adjustment in the heel rather than the headstock (that part sucks). I could fire it up and give you a little taste through a clone of a 65 Princeton Reverb if you want. I don't know if it would tell you a lot since the amp makes more difference to my ears than what version strat you have .

Just listen to any Buddy Holly record and you'll know what an old Strat sounds like. It sounds like ..... a Strat!

I have one of the Vintage 54 Strats that Fender put out in 2014. The pickups are supposed to be a recreation of the original pickups. It has the 7.25" radius neck, 6 point trem, etc like the originals, and the truss rod adjustment in the heel rather than the headstock (that part sucks). I could fire it up and give you a little taste through a clone of a 65 Princeton Reverb if you want. I don't know if it would tell you a lot since the amp makes more difference to my ears than what version strat you have .
I was watching Buddy Holly on TV a couple days ago.

How about just a raw DI track - straight guitar. Then another through the amp with reverb set at 2.

Crazy Gary Busey.

What I think would be cool. What I think to be ' a Hot Ticket' ..get a nice USA Telecaster with a B/G Bender.

Spantini, here's the direct signal. I did a little bit of Wooden Ships.

Neck, Middle, Bridge, N/M and M/B. Then I did a bit of noodling around at the end and played with the tone controls, just to give you a taste of what range you have.
Sorry about the out of tune... I just tuned it yesterday, and didn't have my Turbo Tuner downstairs by the recorder.

I'll try to set the amp up tomorrow, with an SM57.

Attachments

• Vint 54 Strat Direct .mp3
    16.4 MB
If modified Stratocasters are of interest. Have you seen the EverTune constant tension Bridges? After Roye's demonstration, I'm sold. All mechanical system. NEVER tune it again!

Screenshot 2023-01-08 082614.jpg
No Whammies

Crazy Gary Busey.

What I think would be cool. What I think to be ' a Hot Ticket' ..get a nice USA Telecaster with a B/G Bender.
Gary played a good Buddy Holly in the movie. I once had a USA Tele bought second-hand. That was the worst sounding and playing guitar I ever touched. Whoever had their hands on it before must have adjusted everything that moved and then some, all incorrectly. I knew nothing about guitars at the time so I just kept it cased and closeted for years. Lost it in the big liquidation of nought-9. I wouldn't mind having a new one in good shape.

The gear makes much of the sound. Try a Telecaster with a Fender Champion 5 w tube, 6" Alnico speaker in tweed like that kids has above.

Here's the promised guitar into the AA1164 amp. Vol at 4, Bass and Treble at 5, Reverb at 2. No trem. Tone and volume controls on the strat were on 10.

I did the same pattern as above, N M B N/M M/B.

The SM57 was just off center about 3 inches.

Attachments

• Vint 54 PRev at 4.mp3
    11 MB
Thanks, Rich. I like how it sounds when played softly with the slow pick drag, it really sings on the higher strings. The little bit of reverb on the amp fills it out nicely. I like adding just enough so it's mostly heard as the sound trails off. The lead riffs sound real good on the DI recording, clean with the Strat sound coming through.

I was curious about your AA1164 amp so I looked about and stumbled onto this stuff - definitely more than I need to know, but maybe it would interest you :

Yeah, the AA1164 is the original blackface Fender PR circuit.

The amp I got was built by a fellow from Asheville NC. He does repairs and stuff, and builds clones of various amps. I got this one some years back. He's recently moved out of the building he was in Asheville, and now is doing things by appointment rather than being in the shop every day. The Amp Shop I ran across him at a guitar show in Spartanburg SC many years ago.

It's all hand wired.
AA1165 Gut Shot.jpg

This is a video that he has of someone playing the same amp a few years back in his old shop.

I only have 2 Strat clones. A yammy Pacifica HSS and a PRS SSS.
I do like the idea of the split humbucker. Japanese guitars can be/are very good.
Nice axe.

is this direct too like above? or all sm57?
The earlier post was direct into the recorder, no tone controls, mic or amp involved.

This was set up the amp with the SM57 and hit record. I figured that would be a good reference mic to use since most everybody has one.

Back