Just popped into my head

spantini

COO of me, inc.
A couple of days ago, I found myself running a chord progression in my head. Catchy, I thought. So I sat down and worked out some variations for a possible song. The one I landed on sounds pretty good. I began writing lyrics, but I stalled after the first few lines. Then I suddenly realized I was playing virtually the same song Neil Young wrote years ago - Rockin' In The Free World - only a different key. ACK!! Then I tried different arrangements which sucked, each one weakened the progression. Now the initial spark was gone and all I have are four lines of lyrics that'll probably never see the light of day again. Oh well. . .

Screw that just finish the song and worry about the plagiarism after you make millions of dollars on it...Just because they are similar doesn't mean they are the same....Neil surely heard something in his journey which led him to write that song... Long ago I remember writing a song that had a riff similar to 21st century schizoid man. Our manager said it was a rip off , I said bullshit you dumbass. So I actually put the the 21st century riff he was speaking of into the song so he and anyone else that might say they are the same could STFU and stuff it. similar but different

Ok. So let me get this straight . . . First, I call Neil and tell him, "Bullshit, you dumbass. STFU. I'm writin' my own damn POS song!" :guitar::laughings:
If you like I can call him for you...he's all cool NIKE about this kind of shit...JUST DO IT! Rock on Spantini!

Waiiiilll. . . That Neil Young progression turned into something way different. What I landed on was a couple catchy little progressions (possible verse & chorus at this point). This has the feel of a 1967 Top 40 rock song. I don't usually write the music first, so I'm not sure how lyrics and melody are going to come out - yet. I wish I had a better singing voice, but I'm going to mangle my way through this one with the one that brung me.

So when the music comes first for me I try to get a feel for what might be a fitting topic or subject for the music. Is it happy, sad, mad does it exude some emotion...

It goes both ways for me but I think more often the music before the lyrics.

Good luck mang!

Thanks Bro!

I've got a decent hook I want to use as the chorus. I'm trying to think of some lyrics I can wrangle into a catchy melody for that part - something that will stick in your head when you hear it. I've been experimenting with a few bridges, but they've been detracting from the energy, so I'm leaving them out for now.

I hate this part of writing, but when (if) it comes together there's nothing like that rush.

Oh, it's a mess right now. Couple of nice sounds on rhythm guitar, but nothing else. I can't even decide on the arrangement or tempo.

Attachments

• New Song 1.0.mp3
    2.7 MB
This latest mess is far from the Neil Young progression I began with. Every time I run through it, I change something - there's a lot of bad somethings goin' on here :LOL:

This is in bad need of lyrics to pull it all together with a good melody.

Nope. You're just making excuses and putting it off. Make a road map and then fit your lyrics and melody to that. ;)

It morphed again ! Or mebe it's a totally new one. Can't tell yet.

Attachments

• New Thing 12.31.2023.mp3
    3.4 MB
Everything always sounds like something else, that's how you know you're doing it right :D

It's the way YOU do it that matters

Back