Jude (not hey)

Stratomaster

Very long story long-

My roomates girlfriend is binge watching a show called "Penny Dreadful", it has a theme song that reminds me of something i did long ago-1988. I was working with a guy at a supermarket who was a writer, he gave me some lyrics to see if i could make a song out of any of them. I chose one recorded it on my 4 track and gave it to him, he was pleased. A month later i moved and never heard from him again and forgot about this song until i kept hearing this tv show theme song. The lyrics of the song came back to me and i typed them into google and sure enough the guy is in publishing and had posted the lyrics in a blog many years ago. I emailed him last week and we re-established contact. I re-recorded this in true 80's 4 track verby boomy style.

So the writer hasn't heard it yet-i want to be sure it's done so i don't flood him with version after version. What do you guys think? It's a pretty simple mix-the vocals are verbed and maybe a bit buried for the purist...Also the overall volume is hard to judge with a quiet song like this- does it need to come up a few db? Arrangement...i think it's too long-like maybe it shouldn't repeat the first verse but that's how he wrote it..

Anyways-If you're feeling sleepy, beware, this might be the finishing touch. Thanks for listening and any comments.

I like the mix. Vocals sound good and are the center of attention. Guitar perform in a supporting role without competing for attention with the vocal. Is there a bass? If so, it needs to step up.

Listening as I type, I like the tone of that left guitar. Distorted guitar that comes in on the right is nice too. The keys are a nice touch too, sounds like a string patch? Are my ears playing tricks on me or does the panning change on the keys as the song progresses, they sound to the right for their first part, but then sound more centered/left the next few times. Sounds cool.

The reverb on the vocal is definitely noticeable, but sounds good. I think a dry vocal here wouldn't sound right. You got it where it totally sounds like it's in the same space.

Did you compress or automate the vocal at all, sounds like just a few syllables here or there are a tad soft or louder, but it's very subtle, so probably not a big deal.

Nice recording, good job.

Has a Pink Floyd vibe to it...I like it. Good space around everything. Heard a couple vocal notes a little off pitch but not really sure its a big deal...gives a little more intimacy. I do think vocals are competing with main guitar volume and frequency wise a little. Was waiting for a big chorus to come in....never came lol. Good sounding song.

I thought the mix was pretty good (could use a little cleaning up in the lower mids) and liked the retro, simple style. The composition on the other hand did drag without any obvious tension or release, so if you are considering chopping a verse out I'd be all for that.

hmm. I'm not really sure about a track like this. Something about the panning choices seem like they could use examination. Maybe not. Is it rhythm guitar C, lead L and another lead R?

Back