John Leventhal's Radio Shack Optimus 7 Monitors

schlimmster

Hi all. New here. Be gentle.

Noted producer and guitarist John Leventhal (Roseanne Cash, Shawn Colvin, Marc Cohn, etc.) uses a set of RS Optimus 7 speakers as one of his sets of monitors. I'm trying to identify exactly which speaker this is. The only Optimus 7's I see were sold in '73 as the top of the RS line. Could those be what he's using? They're huge and heavy, like furniture, but I've got a line on a local pair for a good price. Somehow I'm thinking he's using a smaller set. It's definitely an Optimus that he uses, but I know that there's an Optimus Pro that might be smaller. Thanks in advance.

He probably has many different sets of monitors. More crucial than WHAT they are is how they are learned. Use reference mixes to learn how they sound on your monitors, so you can understand how to make your mixes sound that way.

Are you sure they're Optimus 7s? A lot of guys used to use Minimus 7s. Tiny. Meant as an alternative to Auratone Cubes. Both meant to in part replicate the sound of cheap car radio speakers.

Of course, now you need an 18" sub to simulate a car stereo. I wonder if there's a VST plugin that adds in various types of trunk rattle.

Yeah, Optimus. I've read it in more than one article. The Optimus 7's from 1973 are huge -- about 60 pounds each and 27" x 24" x 15". He also uses NS10s, but he prefers mixing on the Radio Shacks because they provide more detail. My mixing monitors are Spiral Grooves, so I have zero complaints, but I don't have a larger set. So I'm wondering about these monsters since I've found a cheap pair.

Back