Janglebox without a Janglebox

rayc

retroreprobate
Hello Folks,
I've read a fair bit about the Janglebox, watched the demos etc as well as reading about getting the same/similar effect with a Dynacomp & EQ pedals.
Dynacomps are almost as expensive in Australia as the Jangle box is in the US.
Does anyone know any tricks or tweaks to get THAT sound (chiming a la early Byrds) from otehr gear?

..... and a typical compressor stompbox ...

I would hazard to suggest there is no typical compressor stompbox. You could have a VCA, or an opto-type. An old Boss CS-1 sounds nothing like a Dyna Comp.
I might say a cheaper 'import' may actually work well trying to get 'that' sound, and save you $$$$. An older BBE Opto-Stomp might work (try and avoid the 'new' version with the mustache and monocle graphic). I think the Biyang Baby Boom Compress X is a Dyna Comp clone, but for under $50US!!! Same with the Joyo. I'd imagine these wouldn't be that expensive in Australia. Look on eBay for an old DOD Milkbox. So there's a few options for VCA and Opto. It's up to you and your ears which you prefer. Another good one that's not too expensive is the Seymour Duncan Double Back. But being USA made may make it an expensive import. Hmm.
Try that for starters, anyway. A good 12-string, a good compressor, and a good clean amplifier (think Twin Reverb or Jazz Chorus).

I have a few compressor pedals including a superdynacomp, and I would say that the Danelectro surf and turf does the same thing for a lot less. Made out of plastic and cheap, great for limited use.

Have you used a compressor pedal yet? It's just an ingredient toward a tone, a lot of people are underwhelmed by them.

I bought the behringer clone of the Dynacomp (DC9) and already have an EQ pedal. The Behri pedal is really good & I can hear where the effect of the thing with sensitivity turned up and volum matched to the incoming signal can work towards jangle - there's a bit of chime, a touch percussive, and sustain between notes/chords. I hooked up my EQ pedal (a real cheap one from the mid 90's) but on either side of the compressor an horrid noise is generated. seems the two pedals don't like each other - owrk wonderfully on their own but linked stinks. I'll have to experiment with some other arrangement - maybe a DI between them?
MJBphotos,
I only have a Fender 12 string acoustic but the pick up I use with it isn't too bad so I'll try it.
ranjam,
Too Much Information - though your last sentence compensates.
acidrock,
I LOVE the name (& genre)! My 1st comp stomp. I have a variety of comps in a few multi FX boxes but haven't been excited by them. I try to NOT use compression when recording guitar but being taht I now have one & a purpose for it I hope the weaking will teach me how to use it properly for other tasks.

I'll be interested to hear what you get with the 12-string acoustic. Mine has a piezo which I usually use for recording, as it gives me the sound I want (better than micing it), but I have a Markley pickup I could slide into the soundhole. Would love to get a good Byrds-Rickenbacker 12-string sound without buying another guitar!

mjbphotos,
I'll try to make time to have a go at it during this busy weekend. If I do I'll post something.

I'll be interested to hear what you get with the 12-string acoustic. Mine has a piezo which I usually use for recording, as it gives me the sound I want (better than micing it), but I have a Markley pickup I could slide into the soundhole. Would love to get a good Byrds-Rickenbacker 12-string sound without buying another guitar!
I have a Danelectro 12 string, it's pretty good for the price.

acidrock.
I've long wanted a Danelectro 12 but the price is still prohibitive downunder with the cheapest being $645 & upwards fom there.

acidrock.
I've long wanted a Danelectro 12 but the price is still prohibitive downunder with the cheapest being $645 & upwards fom there.

That's too much.
I paid $150 for mine, but that was quite a while ago.:o

I have a few Behringer pedals, they're hit and miss but perfect for limited use if you're on a budget.

I tried the 12 string last night -
Fender 12
Schaller Western III sound hole pickup
Presonus Blue Tube pre (needed because the schaller has low output) set at about 8 o'clock (just a touch really)
Behri DC9
Kuston 5H Defender
Masrhall 4 x 12 cab.
I didn't record it as it was killing my fingers (haven't player 12 in a long time) and the Schaller isn't great with a 12 - bottom & top E strings weren't really there.
However, with output & sensitivity both at about 1 o'clock the sound was punchy, very bright and had sustain & shimmer. In addition to the above tone if I used a light pick it was gentler, with my preferred heavy pick it was good but needed a litte EQ & with my fang pick it was quite bright and I had to play a at the end of the fret board to prevent it becoming struidnet to painful.
If I can get my fongers used to the 12 again I'll pst a clip in a week or so.

Back