"Ivory Black" - folk rock

famous beagle

This is the third song from my wife's solo album.

Thanks for any thoughts, comments, or suggestions!

Attachments

• Ivory Black mix 2.mp3
    6.4 MB
Very pretty! Love her voice. Seems the EQing is centered on her lower frequencies. I'd raise that up. Lovely tune. Enjoyed the listen!
~Bob

Nice song - really pretty - I think the vocals are mixed to far forward - but that's me - interesting the whole track is a lot louder than your previous track.

Lovely voice & lovely song
Thanks so much!
Nice song - really pretty - I think the vocals are mixed to far forward - but that's me - interesting the whole track is a lot louder than your previous track.
Thanks! I tend to agree with you about the vocals being too up front. In fact, I've already re-EQ'ed them a bit and brought them down a bit.

And you're right about the volume difference. I'll be mastering all these together at the end to help rectify that.

Watch out for dropping her too far back - she's the star. I'd probably slightly bring the bass (and percussion) up a hair too. Just drive it slightly harder.

... but you're really close.

Enjoyed the listen!

Watch out for dropping her too far back - she's the star. I'd probably slightly bring the bass (and percussion) up a hair too. Just drive it slightly harder.

... but you're really close.

Enjoyed the listen!
Thank you for the listen and the suggestions!

I really like this series you've done - lovely songs, good arrangements, great performance. Is that you doing bvs? Good job, whoever it is.

Earbuds:

Lead vocal - two things. Same comment as before: some of her note endings trail off and get lost. Recover them! If you brought up the fading tails, you could probably drop the overall vocal level a smidge - I think Papanate's comment has something to it. Also, EQ: it's on the dark end of the acceptable scale, and I think that's about where I'd put it as well, because it gives the voice some heft against all the backing, but still, I'd explore something a taste brighter/less dark, just to see. Just a taste.

Drum kit down a dB?

I really like this series you've done - lovely songs, good arrangements, great performance. Is that you doing bvs? Good job, whoever it is.

Earbuds:

Lead vocal - two things. Same comment as before: some of her note endings trail off and get lost. Recover them! If you brought up the fading tails, you could probably drop the overall vocal level a smidge - I think Papanate's comment has something to it. Also, EQ: it's on the dark end of the acceptable scale, and I think that's about where I'd put it as well, because it gives the voice some heft against all the backing, but still, I'd explore something a taste brighter/less dark, just to see. Just a taste.

Drum kit down a dB?
Thanks much for the listen and suggestions. I'm glad you're enjoying the songs! 👍
That's not me on the BG vocals. My only contribution to the recording of these songs is one guitar solo on a song I have yet to post. Most of it was recorded by a guitar player/vocalist named Dave with whom she's worked in another Celtic acoustic band (the Selke Girls) for almost 10 years. That was a Dallas-based band, and we moved up to Milwuakee in 2021, and Dave retired and moved to Austin, so the Selkie Girls are wrapping things up. This is why Alli (my wife) wanted to do a solo album. Most of the tracks were recorded remotely at Dave's place, and I recorded most of her vocals in my studio.

Now she's asked me to do the mixing and mastering. 😉

Very nice song! Your wife has a lovely voice, and your harmonies are very good. The style reminds me a bit of Alison Krauss. Nice work, and thanks for sharing! :-)
Joseph

Back