It's So Sad

Somehow tis got lost on my hard drive so I had to upload it again. This reminds me a lot of Neil Young- the simple, sparse structure to it. The only thing that I think that you need to work on is the bass. I seems to fade in and out of the mix, It's a really simple bass line, which i think works with the song, but I would like to hear a litte more confidence in the playing. make it go thump tha tha thump like it's more that just a thump tha tha thump if that makes any sense. Oh well... Good tune man I've got that chorus stuck in my head...

-jhe

There's a lot of pick attack on the rythym guitars, maybe with some diff. eq, you could cut that down a bit. I think i liked the rythym sound on feedback a little better. I'm not really one to nitpick though, my mixes arent nearly as clear. I like the song quite a bit.

Pick attack is always a tricky one. Generally EQ doesn't really help get rid of it because it cuts across the full spectrum; try it and you'll see. It's best dealt with at the recording side--mic placement, pick choice, even strumming technique can have an effect.

Emeric, I know what you mean about acoustic guitar--I do exactly the same thing (i.e. rely on them as rhythm instruments. A few ways to prevent them from over-filling the mix: eq the lower mids and bottoms out, use Nashville tuning (Jars of Clay style) where you put 12-string strings on your 6-string, but only the thinner ones (yeah you throw the other ones out or put them on your kid's guitar). Also they can go way down in the mix if you want. But I love big acoustic guitars myself. To my mind they can be seen as part of the drum/percussion group if you want, and then you can mix from that philosophy.

[This message has been edited by Tapehead (edited 06-23-2000).]

Back