Its been awhile

Layth

I was in the chat room with Emeric and Drstawl. They said they couldn't remember any MP3s from me so... here are two at http://www.idrive.com Type layth in the vistor thingy.

The guy I record is also my partner in animation. He's a prolific song writer.

The songs are 10 years old done on a 4 trac cassette. The drums are canned (HR-16) and suck ditto for the bass, made with a Roland D-50

I couldn't remember the name of one song but its about low self esteem. He was really messed up over this girl so I called it LowSteem, its the smaller of the two.

BadMan was about a guy that was going to ditch his family, we had a guy come in to add flute and sax, he was pretty good.

I would like to redo these when I get my DAW setup and use some of you as hired guns to fill in.

Layth

[This message has been edited by Layth (edited 06-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Layth (edited 06-13-2000).]

Nice production Layth... I can't seem to get those kind of dynamics out of my recordings... I guess thats why I'm here - learning the engineering side of things as I go... I definiately need to think about the whole songs dynamics before I start laying down tracks... Good luck!! Ben

Damn these are well written songs and well played and mixed...your lyrics are so good....liked your voice, and where it was in the mix....Badman was cool but LoSteem (Poured Myself Into You) was awesome tunewise and lyrically....bucket under the bed, lizards....imagery.....writing doesn't often get this good.....when you re-do, chunk the metronome though, on "Badman"..lol...gibs

[This message has been edited by gibs (edited 06-14-2000).]

Hey Gibs, Thanks for the kind words! One note of correction, its not my voice, its my animation partner (the talented one). He's the song writer/musician. I did the recording and production and the occasional vox backup when needed. Consider the metronome chucked.

Once I get my DAW built there's a ton of stuff I want to change, especially with all the talent and advise I see here.

Layth

[This message has been edited by Layth (edited 06-14-2000).]

Thanks Ben. I think your stuff is pretty good just play with that vocal a little.

yeah there is a ton of stuff to learn here.
You run into some attitude sometimes but its worth it. Stick around.

Layth

Badman is really nice. The songwriting style
reminds me of Harry Nilsson...I'll check out
the other one later on!

ric

Ric, I might be comin to you for some production hints when I get set up with the new DAW! Thanks for the comments. John the guy I record has got a way with words, is an under statement he's got some great new stuff. We should be rollin by mid July.

Thanks CMiller, that sax/flute player was something. I thought he had it on the first take but he made me do one more and thats the one we used.

Layth

Did I hear just a tinge of Springsteen in a couple of spots on "LowSteem"? This isn't normally my cup of tea, but the recording is pretty darn good. I doubt I could even come close with the same equipment. The only real critique is I'm not sure if the progression in "Bad Man" justified the five minute length. Some sort of bridge might break it up a little... even if it added another :45. The flute and sax breaks were tasty as hell, though.

Pglewis, thanks for the review. John, the guy I record has got to have one of the most eclectic musical taste Iv ever seen, so there probably is some Springsteen in there. And yeah a lot of his songs are too long, I argue till Im blue in the face but he won't budge. May be if I have him read the reviews in here I can get him to slim down those times. Thanks for the bridge suggestion, I'll see if he goes for it.

Layth

Downloaded Lowsteem. Cool song. Great vocal sound, overall good mix and sound. My only complaint would be the string noise on the acoustic, but everyone has to deal with that :)

Good stuff.

Back