Is this the so-called ground loop hum?

lazlothemonkey

I started hearing today a humming sound when I moved my audio setup to a different room.... I tried googling the problem, but I'm not sure, is this the so-called ground loop hum?

Is it something that could be fixed if I upgraded my audio interface ( I am using a motu audio express)? or is it a cable problem?

Attachments

• humming sound.mp3
    153.9 KB
Last edited:
No - there are lots of harmonics present too. I'd suspect a power supply somewhere. If you moved to another room from one where things were silent - what is different? Look at where the electricity is coming from. Multiple wall outlets? or just one with everything feeding from that - any changes to two pin wiring? Any reversible connectors 180 degrees reversed from what they were. In simple terms - you need to start with as simple system as you can - does that hum? Then add the extra kit you have one piece at a time till the noise stops. It needs a systematic approach - and without knowing everything and what you've done, we're guessing - but it certainly is not the classic 50/60Hz hum - suggesting a piece of kit with the capability of electronics reacting badly to ...... something.

No - hum in europe (which is where you are if you buy from Thomann is 50Hz, but yours has 100,200 and lots of multiples. This indicates a power supply playing up in many cases - so look for the switch mode powerl supplies - the wall wart type black devices - if these play up they can induce that kind of noise - so look at the kit and remove them one at a time - or better, if you are using an interface - disconnect everything apart from the interface, computer amp and speakers, or powered speakers - you could just plug the headphones into the interface and try the interface and computer with nothing else. If that noise is in the headphones, then it's being generated between these two devices. always worth swapping the USB cable. Unlikley but worth double checking. Then, add device after device till the hum starts - and there you go.

I ordered two multi cores from Thomann:

And

And the hum has sofar only happened with the Cordial brand.... 🤔 No hum with the sssnake mc164.
When I connect the mics directly to the interface with simple 5m long XLR cables, also no hum.
Also the XLR connections on the cordial seem fiddly, they don’t have the ability to ‘lock’ as like in the sssnake model. And the cordial is the more expensive one with less inputs and rean connectors!! Very interesting...

i don’t rule out the possibility however that I may be going crazy tho and it’s just the tinnitus acting up 😂

Last edited:
It's a fault - send it back. Brand does not make things hum, faults do. Disconnected grounds, and with long cables that are essentially floating, they're a great way for noise to get in. That is, however a lot of noise suggesting the system has troubles.

Back