Is This an Ugly Guitar?

Is this an ugly guitar?

• Yes (it's ugly)

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No (it's a thing of beauty)

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

TetraFish

Maybe it's just me but why does every guitar store that sells Gibson or Epiphone have 6 or 7 of these ugly fuckers. The knobs and pick guard always look like they're yellow from being in a smoky room for too long, and the gold finish just looks cheap. Don't get me wrong I love Gibsons and I love LP's but I just can't see the appeal of the retro gold.

Is it just me or is this an ugly guitar?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 324
I never cared much for gold-tops, so I'm with you. Ugly. Not BUTT ugly, or Fugly, but ugly all the same.

Plus, the gold top is one of Gibson's tamest guitars in terms of ugly. For example:

gibson-dusk-tiger-guitar_535cu_65.jpg

gibson-eye--large-msg-123756284541.jpg

gibson-reverse-flying-v.jpg

gibson_holy_explorer.jpg

U-G-L-Y-The-Gibson-Reverse-Explorer-Guitar-2.jpg

SGZootSuitFull.jpg

DSTVSWBK1Finish.jpg

gibsonfirebirdxeng2010.jpg

How does it feel, sound, play, record?
I quite like ugly guitars - all of mine are to varying degrees. The Les paul design isn't ugly, the "aged" knobs aren't anything special and the gold top is just that. Bright and shiney attracts.
Why does every shop have shiney things near the check out?
Why do kids reach for the toys at thei height?
Why are we still here?

While I think the LP is just a beautiful design in its simplicity, so I could never call one truly ugly, the gold top is my least favorite finish. The coloured clear coats over the figured maple are far nicer.

Funny thing: I came across an older email my son sent me about a Gibson Gold top listed on New Orleans Craigslist, and I told him they were pretty desirable guitars- basically saying I liked them.

Am I fickle, or WHAT?:p

While I generally hate anything painted gold, because it always looks chinsy and PAINTED as opposed to finished and complete....

...I can think of far uglier guitars than the Gold Top.

For example:

bigfoot.jpg

ugly-guitar.jpg

s20superhero_large.jpg

steinberger_white_1.jpg

armageddon.jpg

Back